Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still getting loads of connection dropouts

gunsmoke
Grafter

Still getting loads of connection dropouts

Hi everyone
This has been going on for 7 weeks now, lots of dropouts every day.
I've had 3 engineers come, 4 if you count the one who didn't turn up :(((
All three did some testing at the main socket, at my extension, then up at the cabinet & exchange.  No idea what they discovered or if they did anything different to each other.
That's fully 2 days of my annual leave I've lost now Sad
I've changed modem/routers, I've changed filters,  I've removed all of the extension wiring, that has been fine for the last 10 years, from the setup.
The modem is now plugged into a filter in the only socket.  there is nothing hard wired into the socket
Before it started around the 20th April I was getting around 5-6mbps.  Around beginning of May I believe I went onto ADSL2+
routerstats log from this morning attached.  I can find no order to the dropouts, they don't tie up with anything timewise.
I'm about 1.5km to the cabinet by road and 1.7km to the exchange.  Aluminium from cabinet to home allegedly
Had quite a few of these messages on my Plusnet fault log:
We would like to inform you that your Help Assistant Question [ 54692062 ] has now been returned to the BOT - Openreach Engineer appointments pool. A member of our Support Team will investigate your issue as soon as possible.
If you have any additional information that could help us to resolve your issue more quickly, please amend the above Question at the Plusnet Portal and your comments will be sent directly to our Customer Support centre - http://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=questions

Any ideas anyone?
Sad Sad Sad

from router:
ADSL
  Type Interleave Path
  Status SHOWTIME

Downstream Upstream

Data rate(Kbps)
4544Kb 440Kb

Noise Margin
7 26

Output power(dBm)
128 185

Attenuation(dB)
42 15

from http://www.speedtester.bt.com/
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed
3.77 Mbps

0 Mbps 4 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 3.77 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 4.01 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.34 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.45 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.34Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps
6 REPLIES 6
gunsmoke
Grafter

Re: Still getting loads of connection dropouts

latest PN trace attached
Sad
REALLY frustrating
harps1h
Grafter

what is the router you are currently using?  The reason I ask is that the same happened to me when I upgraded to adsl2+. I was using a Belkin 2740-R which I only had from last June, it was dropping connection all over the place. In fact according to PN towers records I had 20 drops in 72 hours. So it was concluded it was my router and they kindly sent me out a new PN one which stayed connected for 24 hours solid. Unfortunately it was a faulty one so it was not broadcasting wifi, but this is being replaced. I would suggest that the routers you were using were not compatible with the new equipment put into your exchange just as mine wasn't here.
gunsmoke
Grafter

I had been using a Belkin F5D7633-4 for a good few years now
tried a USRobotics Sureconnect 9105, older but unused
now I've borrowed a F6D4630-4 from someone already gone to Infinity
Plusnet haven't mentioned anything about any modems not being compatible with ADSL2, just to try a different one to eliminate mine.
looking on the list of compatable kit, my older 7633 seems to be listed as 'works'
harps1h
Grafter

I had one of those before my D-link but found that it would tend to drop out frequently only the ADSL 2 connection, that was why I bought the D-Link. However the D-link struggled to cope when I moved to ADSl2+ with constant drop outs. I would ask PN for one of their routers, that way it will eliminate for sure it is the modem if things keep happening
gunsmoke
Grafter

Haven't heard from PN since engineer visit on thursday now.
Starting to feel unloved ...
Sad
so much for getting back to me within 24-48 hours
Sad
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi gunsmoke,
Sorry about that. I'll give someone a nudge.
Jojo Smiley