cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still fast path and the ping has shot up - help

TerryCTR
Grafter

Still fast path and the ping has shot up - help

As per the title, its still showing as fast path on my router but the ping has shot up around 50ms making my gaming poor once again.
I don't know if there could be damage to the exchange or something due to the severe winds up this way but can someone check it out as its playing like im interleaved again even though I can see I am not.
Thanks
Terry
5 REPLIES 5
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Still fast path and the ping has shot up - help

Hi TerryCTR,
It may be something to do with this. I'd be interested to see how it goes tonight after we increase network capacity.
Jojo Smiley
Force9Original
Grafter

Hi Terry
If the pings & latency increase again, post some  pings  (-n 100 should do)  & tracert's to the bbc.co.uk & google.co.uk to see if anything stands out Wink http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/running_ping_tracert.shtml
Also if you've got a static IP the  tool on  think broadband is very useful for latency
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping
Cheers f9o
TerryCTR
Grafter

Jojo I havent played tonight being floored with the man flu going about but I will try tomorrow and check it out. I don't really know what the 20 to 21cn stuff means but I stumbled on something that said I could get a bt
Infinity line to 20 meg by June of this year.
Does this mean my connection would get better with you as it seems the ping still wouldn't be great with bt capping.
Force- thanks for the info I will check it out tomorrow and run some tests if its still lagging.
Thanks
Terry
TerryCTR
Grafter

Seems to have sorted itself out and the ping is back down where it should be again.
Can you confirm if bt upgrade my line by June that the ping would drop further?
Thanks
Terry
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Terry,
I don't think we could confirm that the ping would drop for you. If the line quality improves then yes it probably would do but that's not something we can guarantee at all I'm afraid, please also bear in mind that a faster line speed doesn't necessarily mean a better quality line.