cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stepping down from Moderating

John_Essex
Grafter

Stepping down from Moderating

I'm not sure just how many people will know no me on these new forums which are now a mix of the old Plusnet and other virtual ISP forums.
Anyhow, for those who do remember me from the old Plusnet forum I was one of the original moderating team from when the old phpBB forum was first launched over 4 years ago. Throughout the life of the old forums and the changeover to this new one I have held the post of forum moderator.
I have thought long and hard about this and come to the conclusion  that I have been doing it for too long and the time has come for to step down from the post. As one of the original moderators I was the only one left who was not elected by you the users and that anomaly will be corrected when you elect my successor.
I have mostly enjoyed the role over the last four and a half years and have made many friends and contacts via these forums. There have also been some turbulent times when Plusnet have dropped the ball or made some far reaching decision that affected us the users. Those times called for some hard moderating on occasions so as well as friends I know I have also made some enemies. Hopefuly not too many  Sad
I intend to still visit these forums in the future as they are a wonderful source of help and information and I have received good advise from the community on several occassions in the past.
So with those words I'll end this post and give my best wishes to the rest of the moderating team who I'm sure will continue to keep the forums the good tool that they are and hang up my boots so to speak.
19 REPLIES 19
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Stepping down from Moderating

Thanks for all your efforts over the years John, and I'm sure there are many like me who appreciate the hard work and time you have spent doing what I know is a thankless task at times.
Being one of the original gang I'm sure you have seen many changes over the years and you have played a major part in making the forums what they are now, so you will be missed.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Legend!
That is all...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Sorry to see you go John, we all appreciate the work you've put in over the years. There have many turbulent times and I know it hasn't been easy.
Hope you'll continue to have a presence here Smiley
carrot63
Grafter

In my time reading these forums, I think you've been the epitome of fair and even handed moderation, particularly during the often charged debates last year. You'll be sorely missed. Best wishes.
jazz
Grafter

I can only echo what carrot63 says.  These forums are invaluable as a source of help to general users and the voluntary work that the moderators put in is tremendous.  Thank you for all that you have done to keep the cyber-wheels oiled.  Best wishes.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Thanks for all your hard work over the years John.  It's a shame to see you go.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

persistability
Grafter

Why are you really going ? Did they delete your email ? 😉
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Thanks for all your hard work John, sorry to see you step down.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
James
Grafter

Sorry to see you leave John.  You've been a massive asset to the Community over the last few years and I have no doubt that you will be sorely missed.
LiamM
Grafter

John,
It was good working with you from both sides of the fence... Your help and advice has been invaluable, and your moderating style fair.  You'll be missed around these parts, so don't be a stranger!
Liam
John_Essex
Grafter

Thanks for the comments and please be assured that I am not intending to desert the forums for good.
They are too much of a valuable asset to even contemplate that.
Quote from: persistability
Why are you really going ? Did they delete your email ? 😉

Theres always one isn't there  Wink
No I'm stepping down because I think I have been doing it for too long. Another factor is my age. I am now approaching 64 years old and feel that I want a slower pace of life. The forums however are accelerating as they try and keep pace with the ever changing face of technology and something had to give. 
Huh
See you all around here in the future.  Smiley
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Good luck John, it's been a pleasure. Few have contributed the time and effort and I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say it is the community's loss. I know you'll be back around from time to time. I agree with Bob we should create a legend tag for you.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
grey_gorilla
Dabbler

Quote from: John_Essex
As one of the original moderators I was the only one left who was not elected by you the users and that anomaly will be corrected when you elect my successor.

Au revoir, John Essex (the moderator). You would have been assured my vote, if that was the only reason for your 'departure'.
7th_star
Grafter

Hey John,
You have been a star! 
Time for some deserved rest.
"Legend" vote x3.  Cool