Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stats: Any Room for Improvement?

sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Stats: Any Room for Improvement?

Hello,
I was wondering if there is any room for improvement with my stats?

Thanks.

65 REPLIES 65
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Stats: Any Room for Improvement?

If you had a good noise-free line then the target noise margin should be 6 dB.  If it were you would get a slightly better sync rate than you achieve with what looks to be a target noise margin of 9 dB. 
If your sync rate is 5664 kbps then the IP Profile (throttle) applied to your line is 4500 kbps.  If you could sync at 5696 kbps then your IP Profile would go up to 5000 kbps.  Unless you're on ADSL2+ in which case other rules apply. 
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Quote from: ReedRichards
Unless you're on ADSL2+ in which case other rules apply. 

I am on ADSL1. I use a filtered faceplate and I am connected to the master socket. Is there anything I can do to stop the connection disconnecting? I presume the disconnections increased the target SNR to 9dB?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: sjrinfroyle
Is there anything I can do to stop the connection disconnecting?

There's not a lot you can do.
If there is any audible noise on your phone line you should report this as a phone line fault and try to get it fixed.  You could try to look for any pattern in the disconnections.  If your line appears stable you could ask for it to be reset.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Do you have any other sockets in the house fed from the filtered faceplate.
If so you could try the test socket - during the daylight hours - and see if the speed improves and the disconnections stop
Also, if there are any other sockets in the house, how many wires are connected to the removable faceplate - there should only be two on terminals 2 and 5  
Have a read here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Thanks for responding Oldjim,
To answer your questions:
Do you have any other sockets in the house fed from the filtered faceplate. - I have two other sockets.
If so you could try the test socket - during the daylight hours - and see if the speed improves and the disconnections stop - I have tried the test socket before and it didn't make any difference.
Also, if there are any other sockets in the house, how many wires are connected to the removable faceplate - there should only be two on terminals 2 and 5  - Terminals 2 and 5 are the only wires connected to all of the sockets and the faceplate.
Somebody has suggested a "Lift and Shift" which would move me onto another pair but I think Plusnet would be unwilling to do this.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

In which case you are more or less stuck with it.
At least the speed is good enough to run iPlayer on HD which mine didn't used to be
You could of course try a router where you can manually tweak the noise margin and see if you can push the speed up to over 5696kbps which will give you a 5,000kbps profile.
Probably a 1db reduction will give you that.
However if you have a resync in the middle of the night that will undo all the good work.
It is always possible a different router will give better speeds as well. Which one are you using at present
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
It is always possible a different router will give better speeds as well. Which one are you using at present

Netgear DG834GT.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

So have you tried tweaking the noise margin and monitoring the results on Routerstats continuously - it means leaving the computer on over night
x47c
Grafter

A lift and shift is where your connection is changed to a new line card at the exchange
So it is both a software change and a physical change at the exchange.
A new pair can either refer to the D side - ie from the cabinet to your house connection point (usually telegraph pole joint point)
or to the E side - that part of your line from the exchange to the cabinet.
...and it means your line is swapped to a spare line pair in either/or/both the D side and E sides (assuming there are any spare pairs available - more of a problem usually on the D side)
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Quote from: x47c
A lift and shift is where your connection is changed to a new line card at the exchange

Could it help with my problems?
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Here are some more stats (the downstream connection rate is lower because I was tidying up some cabling so I had to turn of the router):
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Possibly not
It depends where the problem is.
Have you tried monitoring continuously and see what happens to noise margin and error rates over night and when the disconnections occur
This is the sort of thing you can get
The first picture is noise margin
The second picture is the uncorrected errors every 15  mins
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

The SNR has dropped to a minimum of 6.6dB so far tonight, so a drop of about 2.8dB. I would like to get a better idea of how much SNR drops on other lines, would anybody mind posting how much the SNR varies on their line?
Thanks.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
Have you tried monitoring continuously and see what happens to noise margin and error rates over night and when the disconnections occur

I am monitoring with RouterStats now. Here is a graph for the past hour, which is when the interference seems to be at its worst: