cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP...

Mav
Fixes: 515

Static IP...

Having just activated the Static IP for my account I noticed the following message at the bottom of the page:
Please note: Having the same IP address each time you connect may expose you to security vulnerabilities and we recommend that you install Firewall software such as ZoneAlarm.

These days with routers already having some form of Firewall included and the fact that, I suspect, most people are connected permanently anyway with router reboots less frequently than ever before is there really any perceived increase risk in security vulnerabilities more than with a dynamic IP?
Edit: Also bear in mind the basic firewall with XP and the more advanced ones with Vista/W7 (have no idea about w8).

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

3 REPLIES 3
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Static IP...

My view is that yes there may be a slightly added risk which is why that message is displayed.
With regards to using a software firewall they tend to provide a different level of protection to that of a hardware firewall so I would personally advise using both and think of the software firewall as a second line of defence.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Mav
Fixes: 515

Thanks for the reply, Adam.
I hope you didn't misunderstand my reason for asking.
I know there is always a need for good security just felt unsure that the risk is any greater these days with Static IPs and good Firewalls.
Of course, if someone doesn't use a firewall...

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Mav,
I don't believe there is any greater risk these days, it's just the fact that you will not change IP address whereas when you having an IP address changing whenever you have a drop in connection can be potentially harder to track.
Saying that as long as you have your hardware and software firewalls are up-to-date you would be at no greater risk than anyone one else.