cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP typed into address bar going to server control panel

FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Static IP typed into address bar going to server control panel

(sorry if the spelling and grammars abit out, ive broken my arm so typing with my left hand)
okay so ive (out of interest) typed in my static ip address into IE, and its connecting to my windows home server control panel. is this normal? (same with the name address, which is my pn username.plus.com)
ive got an address from microsoft in the format of xxxxx.homeserver.com that also goes to the same page - shouldnt the external ip take me to my routr control panel and not the WHS thingybob?
thanks and sorry for the lack of capitals  Grin

5 REPLIES 5
CX
Grafter

Re: Static IP typed into address bar going to server control panel

Unless you need it to, it shouldn't go anywhere on your internal network.
What does this site tell you? Are any other ports open?
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

just 80 and 443 open.  o_o
although i do have the windows rdc port fowarded so i can get access to it. deleting this port foward rule doesnt make a difference, can still get to it via the ip address.
CX
Grafter

I'm not really familiar with WHS. What if you turn off the web access feature for the server - does typing in your IP address now go nowhere, with no ports open on ShieldsUp?
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

okay so ive (out of interest) typed in my static ip address into IE, and its connecting to my windows home server control panel. is this normal? (same with the name address, which is my pn username.plus.com)

Yes this is normal,
Your microsoft homeserver name (on port 80) resolves to your static IP address, the only way you can access tour router via either your microsoft homeserver name (or IP address) is by changing the http port of either the router or the WHS and then allowing this port through the router.
Reply if this is what you are trying to achive and you require more information.
Ian
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

ah thanks for making that clear, i thought it wasnt normal (as usually i can access my router settings by keying in the static ip) - id rather keep everything as it is as its currentley working perfectly  Grin
cheers, meh