cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP query

Ransomefan
Grafter

Static IP query

As a newbie to Plusnet I was surprised to find my IP address changing so often.  I have found out how to request a Static IP address but before I take the plunge are there any known disadvantages to having a static IP.  I do not game.  The main trigger for wanting one is that every time my IP address changes I have to set up a new Tbb quality Monitor.
7 REPLIES 7
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Re: Static IP query

I have one and I haven't noticed any disadvantages. The only thing I can get think of is you get blocked from something by your IP. You won't be able to get back in as your IP doesn't change. But apart from that, there are no problems that I can see.
Try it! It's easy to go back.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

You are much more anonymous without a fixed IP address and a static IP presents a sitting target to anyone trying to hack in to your network.
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

There is the risk that if your firewall security is weak  your static IP address may be traded between hackers as a site to investigate.
I've used static address ranges for years, it is usually possible via search on the internet to track back an IP range to your geographic address.  It really depends how PlusNet release information on the allocation of their static IP's. If you are a model citizen of course this will not be a problem.  Do note that the IP address is often embedded in email messages even hotmail.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
paulmh5
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

With the amount of port scanning that goes on around the Internet the average user is no more or less at risk with (or without) a static IP.  Any basic stateful firewall should protect you however I you'd rather not take the plunge try www.dyndns.org
It's free and as far as I know the Thomson routers will update the DNS record so you may not even need the little software tool.
Plusnet Staff - Lead Network Design/Delivery Engineer
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@paulmh5
If you'd read what the OP posted you'd have realised that DynDNS is no help to him whatsoever!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
paulmh5
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@jelv
Thanks for your constructive comment, I was unaware TBB hadn't decided to implement DNS in their ping tool.
Plusnet Staff - Lead Network Design/Delivery Engineer
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

For those of us that aren't mind readers or three letter acronym fanatics, what I think they're talking about is the ThinkBroadBand quality monitor tool http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping