cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP on fibre

davewasthere

Static IP on fibre

Got a nasty shock today when my Broadband was upgraded from ADSL to Fibre. I'd paid for a static IP address while on Broadband and expected to keep it. Now I'm being told I have to purchase a different package, and pay for the setup again.
If I switch from the 40/10 package to 80/20, am I likely to get any faster speed? (The BT engineer didn't think so)
I don't use much data - But I do need a static IP. I wish Plus.Net could have been clearer about which packages 'support' it. I'd not have upgraded if that was the case. (Yes, while I'm happy with the increase in speed, the IP address issue is actually more important)
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Static IP on fibre

Switching package does not require paying for setup again unless you are just saying that the setup cost for the fixed IP needs to be paid again
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

But static IP isn't available on value I don't think?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Is there any way round the static IP issue - why do you need it?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
WWWombat
Grafter

If I remember correctly, these are the facts...
- Value fibre is limited to 40/10, and is dynamic only
- Extra fibre makes 80/20 available (even if your distance to the cabinet means it isn't usable). Once on Extra, you can "upgrade" to a Static IP for a one-off charge of £5.
- I'm pretty sure that I've seen PN answer on here to say that NO, it isn't possible to carry an existing static IP into the Value package.
I suspect that means you would have to be on the Extra package.
I don't know if you'd get refunded the one-off charge if you already had a Static IP. We didn't get charged a new fee when we upgraded into fibre, even though we needed to change to a different static IP. That might have been because we went direct to Extra, rather than via Value.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
kmilburn
Grafter

It was definitely possible to carry a static IP into Fibre Value,  but that could be because I've had a static IP for 10+ years!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Not according to the staff on here - don't tell them or they might remove it  Lips_are_sealed
davewasthere

Thanks guys. I sort of figured that might be the case. Wish they'd had something on their marketing gumpf though.
http://www.plus.net/fibre-broadband/broadband/ is great at telling me how many 'emails' I can send, but not the salient points like you can't have a static IP address on this package. I'm a little pissed off.
DyDNS won't cut it for my needs.