cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP - disappeared :-(

foxy
Grafter

Static IP - disappeared :-(

I've been using a static IP for years with PlusNet, and suddenly it's not working, and not showing in my account (it now says 'server assigned')
How can I get back my disappearing IP address? I need it  Sad
9 REPLIES 9
paulby
Grafter

Re: Static IP - disappeared :-(

Go to:
Member Centre>Connection Setings>Control Your Broadband and select  "Change IP Settings"
Direct link.
Did you recently change product per chance?  Static IPs seem to be lost unless you add a note to the regrade ticket askingto keep your static IP.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

You had a static and a dynamic IP component on your account. When this happens the portal will display the dynamic one, I've removed the dynamic and you should be able to see your static on there.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
foxy
Grafter

Thanks for your replies. It seems I added extra bandwidth to my account which then changed the IP address (which is a bit annoying, but I can live with it).
Cheers
Foxy
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

http://www.dyndns.com/ is the (free) answer!
You get a DNS name which will always point to your current IP address. When your modem connects it logs in to the service to tell it your current IP address. I use RIN where I get dynamic IPs and sometimes the normal Plusnet centrals when I get my static IP and it just works.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
foxy
Grafter

Thanks, but I shouldn't need Dyndns if I've got a static IP.
However, my static IP has changed again!! I did go over my bandwidth usage, is this why it's changed again? A bit frustrating as I've got to drive 20 miles to fix it...
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You shouldn't - but it's a really valuable "Get out of Jail Free" card to have tucked in your back pocket if it avoids a 20 mile drive!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

It's very strange that it's changed, it would be interesting to see PN's observations.
I see more problems (elsewhere admittedly) of people wanting to change IP (one does wonder why  Roll_eyes ) when they're on dynamic but it never changes.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hmm seems very very odd, I can't see when the IP was removed from your account, but I can definitely see that a new one was added and the agent that added it has just started their 2 days off-shift.
Hmm interestingly it looks like you have 2 static IPs in RADIUS, so I *think* that what's happened is when you hit the data transfer cap, it automatically raises a ticket (due to your RIN component needing a dynamic IP and you having a static) and the agent has then added a new IP component which has overwritten your previous one but left traces of it in RADIUS. I've just kicked your IP component and RADIUS looks happy again now.
The simple way to fix this would be if you don't use the RIN login (@plusdsl2.net) I can remove the component from your account and this should stop this happening in future.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
foxy
Grafter

Thanks Chris! I use the plusdsl.net login, so if you could make my IP as static as possible, that'd be great  Cheesy