cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP availability

garywood84
Rising Star

Static IP availability

I've recently referred my brother to PlusNet, and since he's just starting out, he's signed up for the Value Broadband and Calls package.  Since he occasionally uses remote desktop, and since we want to be able to share files using NAS drives, I told him to ask for a static IP when he signed up.  A telephone adviser has advised him today that this isn't possible on the Value package.  Can anyone confirm it this is correct?  I can't see any technical limitation that would prevent it, reading the details of the package.
4 REPLIES 4
BRABUS
Grafter

Re: Static IP availability

This is indeed true.  But what he could try is moving to the Extra package for 1 month and paying the one off £5 fee for a static IP and then moving back to the value package.
I am sure others have done this unless Plus Net have stopped this now.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Or you could look for a service like this one: http://www.no-ip.com/services/managed_dns/free_dynamic_dns.html
I have the same thing via DynDNS (they charge now hence why I've not linked above, I set it up a while ago when they were still offering the service for free) and it works like a charm. Rather than going to your IP, you just give your hostname out to people instead and they connect to that - works for all services that I've tried (home hosting, remote desktop etc etc).
BRABUS
Grafter

So Matt are you saying that changing like I suggested still works ?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

In all honesty it depends. Some IPs will get removed on a downgrade to Value and some won't, though I'd imagine things will change once all IPv4 addresses are used and IPv6 comes into force. I certainly wouldn't bank on it being kept I'm afraid.