cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP address

mrsboop

Static IP address

Hi, 

I am not at all tech savvy but I need help. 

My daughter is living in spain on a gap year and wants to watch some uk programmes. I have read a little on it and its says that you have to hide your ip address.

So If i choose the add ons for the static ip address at £5 would my daughter be able to use this on her laptop in spain. I should add she lives on school and uni campus so I know they may have protection on their system, so i don't know if she could use it

Sorry really really not tech savvy- hope someone understands

Thank you

2 REPLIES 2
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Re: Static IP address

Good Evening, 

A static IP would only apply to your line at home in the UK, setting your IP address(think of it like your street address) to the same every time you are online, rather than changing when you reconnect as it currently will.

As your daughter is in another country any changes would need making to the internet connection she is currently using, generally this is achieved using software called a VPN or Virtual Private Network, which sends everything you do through another computer elsewhere in the country or the world.

With a VPN connection to a computer in the UK, it would then appear to websites that she was actually here rather than in Spain. These are things she would need to do at her end from Spain, but can be done using only her computer, I'd suggest asking her to search online for guides on setting up a VPN to the UK from other countries and this should point you in the right direction

mrsboop

Re: Static IP address

Thank you for replying, yes I have heard of these VPN's I will tell her to have a look, thanks