Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting up as a 2nd internet provider

FIXED
panoSs1
Dabbler

Starting up as a 2nd internet provider

Hello.

I am about to move to a new shared place in the beginning of September. Since I am really annoyed regarding sharing internet for games (latency etc) I would rather pay for my own net. I would like to ask the following:

1)Suppose the place I am about to rent has only 1 master socket plus an already x internet provider is to possible for a plusnet employee to set up another master socket in my room?

2)If so what is the cost of doing so?

3)Since I don't have any idea how this is done will this connect somehow to the already main socket? Will it cause me to have reduced speeds or so due to the other isp being connected on that or it will be a totally new separate line?   

11 REPLIES 11
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Starting up as a 2nd internet provider

You will need a new phone line installed that will be totally separate from the existing line and a second socket will be installed, assuming there is space in the cabinet for this.
You'll also need permission from the landlord as it will no doubt involve drilling through an external wall for the installation.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
panoSs1
Dabbler

How can I know if there is space in the cabinet beforehand? I don't want to rent a place just to learn later that there is not space.

Also any idea regarding the cost of the socket installation?

Will I need a written approval of the landlord or just an ok from him? (If so I would like to avoid places where people tend to sublet)

Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fix

Hi there and welcome to our community forums.

1)Suppose the place I am about to rent has only 1 master socket plus an already x internet provider is to possible for a plusnet employee to set up another master socket in my room?

Yeah this should be OK but as @dvorak's said you may need permission from your landlord.

2)If so what is the cost of doing so?

A new line installation costs £49.99.

3)Since I don't have any idea how this is done will this connect somehow to the already main socket? Will it cause me to have reduced speeds or so due to the other isp being connected on that or it will be a totally new separate line?   

The engineer should install a second master socket, which shouldn't be connected to the other one.

How can I know if there is space in the cabinet beforehand? I don't want to rent a place just to learn later that there is not space.

If you can send me a PM with your new address, I'll be happy to check the availability for you.

Will I need a written approval of the landlord or just an ok from him? (If so I would like to avoid places where people tend to sublet)

We don't need to see the approval from your landlord, but it may be worth getting their permission still.

All that said, depending what the existing connection is like at your new address (In terms of speeds etc) it may be perfectly fine for gaming/sharing with others. For example I live in a shared house with 3 others and most of us game with no issues.

Just thought it'd be something worth bearing in mind. Smiley

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any further queries.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
panoSs1
Dabbler

Gandalf you are the man.! Glad to have someone reply so fast.

In your case you just got lucky I guess in house sharing. In my case on this place I am atm, the wi fi on virgin is really bad (bad speeds 30-40mbps) and the landlady has no idea how the internet operates so every time she is here or so she would spike and freeze me in games on her phone. On the other hand after I used cable cause I got fed up with it, my speed got to 110mbps so I had no issue. And qos as far as I know and used in past would only affect uploads that is why I am asking costs and process for my own isp.

I will for sure pm you when I know the postcode end of August.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ah I see no worries. Smiley Yeah let me know your address when you know and I'll see what we can do for you.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Do remember that you'll be entering into a minimum term contract - if you terminate early (possibly due to moving again) you will have early termination charges to pay.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

If you move house within a contract and if we can provide you with a service at your new (new) address there's no cancellation fees.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
panoSs1
Dabbler

You mean in case of termination.

But if I would like to move again, I assume I could carry on the connection until the end of the contract on another property by paying 50 pound fees again for another socket installment correct?

Also @Townman any idea regarding early termination fees or an in-depth link you could possibly know?

Many Thanks  

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

If you would like to continue an existing contract at another property there'd be a house move fee of £65 in addition to the new line installation fee of £49.99. However if you start a new contract then we'd waive the house move fee. Our early termination fees can be found Here

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
panoSs1
Dabbler

Forgot to ask regarding the drilling process. As I said I would like if possible the socket to be installed on my room. I asked a friend that got plusnet as a 2nd internet provider and the tech guy made it next to the main socket and my friend is using a 30 meter cat cable. Now assume my room is on the 1st floor what would that drilling process entail? Obviously a socket on my wall but then he would have to drill somewhere else in the property for the cable to connect? Sorry but I am not really familiar with all this and clearly since this won't be my place I wouldn't want landlord having second thoughts after moving in.

Back in my country we are using the phone sockets for that and most places have more than 2 in separate rooms.

Please be as analytical as possible. 

Thanks 

Satss
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 37

Hi @panoSs1

If you wish to have the socket installed in your bedroom we can make a note of this on the engineer notes for your order. However, when the engineer visits your property you can also inform him of this.

Although we cannot provide you with a definite answer on whether this would be possible the engineer on the day would be able to let you know if they are able to do this, if this is not possible they will take you through the reasons why and any available alternatives.

In terms of drilling work required, we honestly wouldn't be able to advise you at this stage. As its a new line installation we would need for the engineer to go out and asses what work needs to be done in order to get you connected.

Kind Regards,