cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Start of third day with no internet

Cerberos
Rising Star

Start of third day with no internet

My internet went off at eight o'clock Wednesday morning for what the help desk described as a major outage. No internet, DSL light extinguished on the BT modem. Some progress has been made as the DSL light is now lit again but I am still unable to connect to the internet. I have tried logging on as the BT test user. That doesn't work either. Please will someone tell me what the actual fault is (Holmfirth exchange, cab 24) and is it likely to be fixed before openreach finish for Christmas later today?
32 REPLIES 32
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Start of third day with no internet

Sorry to hear your connection isn't working,

I've just tested your line and it's showing the outage as ongoing.

After speaking with our suppliers they've advised that this is due to a migration project that should be completed later today.

Once that's been done you should be back online.

Again apologies for any inconvenience caused.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Cerberos
Rising Star

Thank you Matthew. I appreciate the update.
Cerberos
Rising Star

Still no internet at 16:50 on Friday. Very unsatisfactory.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 155

Sadly you and your neighbourhood are all in the hands of BT Openreach, irrespective of which ISP they use.

Hope you are reconnected before Christmas ... one hopes that for a major outage such as this, resources will be found to continue with the work until it is completed ... regardless of it being Christmas or New Year ... I am sure that BT must have lots of non-Christian staff who will not be celebrating Christmas available for such work?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,596

It looks like your connection returned shortly after your last post.

Everything working now on your side?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Cerberos
Rising Star

Hi Gandalf,

We had internet back sometime Friday evening, looks like it came back around 18:00 but we were out so can't be sure. Was certainly about 18:00 when the iPhones stopped polling the time servers every few seconds.

Everything seems back to normal, though it s difficult to tell at this time of year when every kid in the neibourhood has a new games console, smart phone etc. The internet is always worse then usual for the two weeks following Christmas.

I have performed two succesful BT Speedtests, the first gave a up speed of 7.5 Mbs and suggested I did a TAP 3 test. Sadly I could not get this to run. Changed the router Logon details but it would not connect to the site.

A subsequent test gave normal results, about 15 Mbps down and 0.34 Up (of the 10Mbps it says I have available).

If the three day outage was for a migration, so far it has made no difference. I notice there are two new cabinets in the village Cab 33 and Cab 34, hopefully once fully commissioned I should get some reasonable speeds, assuming I will be migrated to them from Cabinet 24 where my current connection is made.

Cerberos
Rising Star

Intrestingly the Sky customers in the village are still without internet. My connection looks a little slow at the moment but in the bounds of what I expect. Slow to moderate download, upload speeds too slow for most practicle applications. (eg uploading security camera to online service)

Capture.JPG

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Putting your telephone number into the Openreach website here is indicating fibre not yet available/ready within the next month, so I'd hazard a guess that the migration isn't completed yet.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Cerberos
Rising Star

Thanks Gandalf,

That's very interesting. I am paying for a fibre connection and have a BT fibre modem, though I was previously connected to cabinet 24. The BT website says I am connected to Cab 34 (not 24), lets hope that means I will get an upgrade and decent speed very soon.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Whilst the Openreach site advises that fibre isn't available, that's not to say you're not on fibre.

The availability of fibre is generally removed whilst a live to live migration is in progress.

But yeah let us know how it goes within the next month or so.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@Cerberos Are the new cabinets 33 and 34 the All-in-One type illustrated at the bottom of Kitz cabinet page http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/fttc-cabinets.htm? Is cabinet 34 which you are now connected to significantly closer to you than cabinet 24?

Is there a Superfast <your county> council-led initiative where you live?

Assuming there is a full house of yeses there my guess is you are being migrated to cabinet 34 to improve your fibre speeds. The first stage is to move your phone and that has probably been done. Next fibre will be done but that might be awaiting work on the fibre side of the new cabinet. Hopefully not too long to wait. Smiley

In the mean time your fibre will still be coming from the FTTC box at cabinet 24, but possibly with slightly lower speeds because additional connectors have been introduced on your line at cabinet 34.

David
Cerberos
Rising Star

Thanks David,

I believe I can answer yes to all three of those questions. Here's hoping!

Cerberos
Rising Star

Some of the village is still off line. Made the top story on BBC local news on New Years Eve.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09k7dmr/look-north-yorkshire-weekend-news-31122017

Cerberos
Rising Star

Here's Hoping...

An upgrade due on Friday - in the meanwhile all the village Sky cutomers are still off. After the piece on BBC Look North one of the papers has been to interview a Sky customer.

Just received from PlusNet....

"We have been notified by our supplier that your fibre broadband connection is scheduled for upgrade work to be carried out on Friday 5th January.

You may notice that your internet access is disconnected for 1 to 2 hours whilst the work is carried out. Unfortunately we can�t be certain what time this will happen but we have been informed it will likely be between 8am�5pm. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

The good news is that after the work is completed you are likely to notice that your broadband speeds are  faster.

If you have any problems connecting after the disconnection has occurred we suggest switching off the router and then switching it back on again after a couple of minutes."