Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stable rate changed

James
Grafter

Re: Stable rate changed

Hi Dave,
I've tried checking your line, but unfortunately as you're not online, I can't see any stats.
If you let me know when you are online, I should be able to check then.
DavidJ
Rising Star

Quote from: Jameseh
I've tried checking your line, but unfortunately as you're not online, I can't see any stats.
If you let me know when you are online, I should be able to check then.

Hi James
Back online now. Router shows syncing at 7296 kbps (and line stats, for what they're worth, attenuation: 25db and noise margin: 12db - which are the same as they've always been).
Do you have access to additional stats which may reveal any sort of problem?
Quote from: PJ
The reduction in sync speed doesn't happen to co-incide with the installation of Christmas lights does it?

I've seen reports on various forums of Christmas lights causing line noise resulting in lower speeds. A few days ago I turned our Christmas lights off and rebooted the router several times but it made no difference. Whether other people's Christmas lights could be making a difference I don't know. Any idea?
Dave
James
Grafter

Hi Dave,
Are you certain that your downstream SNR has always been set to 12dB?  If this did rise, then that would have caused the downturn in sync speeds.
I won't really be able to see that much more than what you're router is reporting from a line sync and noise margin perspective.
DavidJ
Rising Star

Hi James
These are the stats reported by my router. The noise margin is almost always 12. Now and again it has shown values between 9db and 13db but it's always been that way while the router has been syncing at 8128.
ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed7296 kbps448 kbps
Line Attenuation25 db6 db
Noise Margin12 db26 db

As I said before, my main worry is that there seems to be a slow but continual decrease in speeds suggesting that something somewhere is changing for the worse.
What about the Christmas lights possibility?
Cheers
Dave
James
Grafter

Hi Dave,
It's certainly a possibility that through festive frolities, there's more interference on the line.  I'm afraid that there's not much else I can suggest other to monitor and see if the performance changes at all.
DavidJ
Rising Star

Thanks James
I'll see what happens after Christmas and let you know.
Cheers
Dave
Lovejoy
Grafter

Hope you don't mind me joining in but I am experiencing an extremely slow connection. BT line went down but the ADSL stayed on. This was fixed and the phone restored but the broadband speed has been slow-slow-slow.
These are test figures I have just done but don't mean too much to me I'm afraid.
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 135 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 114 kbps

Speed Test Results
Date 21/12/07 14:06:38
Speed Down 128.37 Kbps ( 0.1 Mbps )
Speed Up 369.46 Kbps ( 0.4 Mbps )
Port 8095
Server speedtest1.adslguide.org.uk
I have raised a ticket and have done obligatory checks and speed tests but no progress as yet.
On another test the quality was down to 9% and they rated my connection as not much better than dial-up.
Would this be a temporary fault condition from which it should recover or am I permantly doomed!
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Whoah, you're getting some disconnections there... unless you're doing it deliberately due to the slow speed that is. I reckon you've got an intermittent fault there, probably everyone's favourite interference from the christmas tree lights. Test the connection in the master socket, unplug everything else from the phone line in every socket and see if it still drops. If so, unplug all your decorations and anything else you might have plugged in (to the mains this time) since it last worked normally and see if that helps.
If not post back and I'll see what I can do regarding that fault you've raised.
Lovejoy
Grafter

I've done all of the recommended test but it stays the same. I connected my laptop using another modem dorectly to the BT socket with nothing else connected.  But no change. This problem has only occurred since BT "fixed" the line. They had to rewire a section of the street as all the neighbours went down at the same time (after some BT maintenance work!)
It was all working fine prior to this.
At one time it wouldn't even complete the BT speed test as it kept dropping out.
DavidJ
Rising Star

Hi James
Just checked my connection again and this is what I got:
Connection Speed6464 kbps448 kbps
Noise Margin15 db24 db

Yesterday they were:
Connection Speed7296 kbps448 kbps
Noise Margin12 db26 db

It's dropped by nearly 1meg in the last 24 hours (and nearly 2 meg over the last couple of weeks). The noise margin is now 15db (up from 12). In an earlier post you asked me if the SNR had always been set to 12db because any increase would explain slower sync speeds. Is this something that is actually "set" on my line? (I thought the stats reported by my router were measurements of the line state at that time). If so, could this be the reason for the slow down?
If it continues to slow down at what point would it be deemed a "fault"?
Cheers
Dave
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Lovejoy,
Apologies for the recent response to your fault ticket, I've picked this up and passed it on to our intermittent team. If there's no movement I'll chase it up for you this afternoon.
Hope this helps,
Lovejoy
Grafter

Many thanks Orbrey
DavidJ
Rising Star

Thanks PJ
I assume this an automatic action taken by the exchange and that, if line quality improves (maybe after all the Christmas lights are switched off!), the exchange would decrease the SNR Margin automatically and speeds would hopefully pick up again. Is this correct?
Dave
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: DavidJ
Is this correct?

Essentially yes, although you may find it takes substantially longer for the SNR to reduce again.
B.
DavidJ
Rising Star

So if we assume my current slow-down is due to all the lovely Christmas lights causing additional noise on the line, and if the lights go off at the beginning of January, what you're saying is that it might not be until the end of January until things sort themselves out?
Should that all happen automatically or does it require a manual kick?
Cheers
Dave