cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Srange speed issue - intermittent

Vikpal
Grafter

Srange speed issue - intermittent

I currently have FTTC broadband from Plusnet and for most part it works great. I get download speeds of around 37.8 Mbps and upload of around 7.9 Mbps. As per the bt speedtester my IP profile is around 38 Mbps DL and 10 Mbps UL, so no complaints there.
However, every so often, things go wrong. Browser requests fail or time out  or it takes too long for a web page to load. When it does load though, its pretty quick. The issue goes away on its own after a while.  2 days ago  I had this issue, I ran a test on bt speedtester: the results were a DL of 36.5 Mbps and a UL of 0 Mbps. Not wanting to believe this, I re-ran the test again with same results. I then went to speedtest.net  and repeated the same: the results were DL of around 36.5 Mbpss and UL never finished. The issue cleared up on its own after an hour. I called up PlusNet support and we went through setting up a direct PPP connection. Initially it did not work, but later on it did... the issue had gone away and hence everything was working fine.
I had the same problem yesterday for 30 mins: DL speed of around 36.8 Mbps and an UL speed of 0.09 Mbps.. Issue cleared up on its own. Browsing was quite slow obviously.
I have a BT Openreach modem that terminates the line from the cabinet and a Technicolour 582 as my wifi point cum router. There are no obviously wrong things or alarms in the log. Obviously since the Technicolour cant see the line, there are no line stats and I dont have credentials for accessing the Openreach modem. Note that whenever the issue occurs, there are no indicators on the Openreach that sync has lost: the indicators stay green. However about 10-12 days ago, I had lost complete sync. Again, things got to normal by itself.
I leave both the modem and the router on all night.
Any suggestions?
On a unrelated note, is it okay to switch off the technicolour at night? I dont think this should affect the IP profile in anyway since the Openreach is still running...
1 REPLY 1
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Srange speed issue - intermittent

Hi Vikpal,

I can see nothing obvious why you would be getting these results, once you've performed a speed test if you could run 'further diagnostics' and see what information is given.
You're fine to turn your Technicolor router off as your modem will still be connected.