cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Squirrel Mail

smith1936

Squirrel Mail

Only just registered, so this may well be the wrong place to bring this up.
Log on page asks for comments on SM but it's not easy to find out how to post them.
My major beef is the security check before sending. Can someone explain just how this is supposed to be a check when an unauthorised user having my computer willbe able to see the code and entr it anyway.
The letters etc. can be extremely difficult to see especially when using a laptop in the open air and sun (like here in Spain today)
The other beef is the inablity to add senders emails directly into the address book (as you can in OE). Again,  the data is in the machine so why does it have to be re-entered with risk of transposition error in circumstances as above plus a drop of vino collapso .
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Re: Squirrel Mail

It's not a security code, it is a CAPTCHA (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha).
It's purpose is to stop spammers using automated software sending spam via webmail.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Fixes: 72

Welcome to the Forum smith1936 Smiley

Customer and Forum Moderator.

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 52

There is quite a long thread covering views on SquirrelMail (SquirrelMail : Do you dig it?) including problems with the anti-spamming CAPTCHA which users on a non-PN connection have to cope with.
More on the future of webmail (Webmail & Roundcube - Replacing SquirrelMail with Roundcube) is contained in the blog IronPort & the Future of the Email Platform. A closed-beta trial of RoundCube was carried out last year, with an open beta expected to commence later this year.
Hopefully this development will rectify some of the deficiencies experienced with SquirrelMail.
David