Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spring Cleaning the Portal - Suggestions for alternate tools

dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Spring Cleaning the Portal - Suggestions for alternate tools

As per this blog it is our intention to remove the Diary, Address Book and Favourite tools from our website. Before we send the emails out we would like to hear from you what tools you use that we could suggest as alternatives. So let us know what Diary, Address Book and Favourites tools you use and we can then compile a list to send to the active users of these tools.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
18 REPLIES 18
prichardson
Grafter

Re: Spring Cleaning the Portal - Suggestions for alternate tools

Address Book? What's one of them?
Diary and Favourites come at the expense of Google Calendar and Google Toolbar.
Address Book in some form comes on my mobile coupled with with a remote sync function (which saved a shed load of time in loading my contacts to my new mobile).
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Why are you not removing the website builder link which has been unusable for years!
scootie
Grafter

ive got one comment. u changed the view my usage link of the front page for an upgrade my package link. now i dont know about every one else but im more likely to use the usage link than upgrade link.
and one surrgestion would it be possable to just have a paid for usage total some where on the front page so as soon as u sign in to the portal u know how much paid for usage u have left.
i know its not a great deal to go to connection settings then to usage data but it would be handy to be able to see this usage data as soon as u login.
from a happy plus net user
Tamlyn
Grafter

Quote from: scootie
i know its not a great deal to go to connection settings then to usage data but it would be handy to be able to see this usage data as soon as u login.

We're currently looking into 'widgetising' the member centre in a similar style to iGoogle and the new bbc homepage so that everyone can customise it with exactly the information they want. It's won't happen in the next few months but most of agree that it's The Way To Go. We may even be able to fix it so that you can see your usage/billing info from the igoogle homepage without even visiting the member centre!
Ianwild
Grafter

Quote from: Peter
Why are you not removing the website builder link which has been unusable for years!

You can't argue with that question - For some reason my spreadsheet says "Already removed"...
Can anyone suggest a reason not to 'dissappear' that at the same time?
Ian
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

I think I asked several times for it to be removed some time ago  Roll_eyes
Also when was the postcode finder data last updated AND when was it last actually used?
I seem to recall it was never very good anyway so perhaps another one to remove - considering a quick google will find the info anyway (and be more up to date).
So, that just leaves MySQL admin  Wink
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Also when was the postcode finder data last updated AND when was it last actually used?

I've used it not that long ago.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Ianwild
Grafter

The postcode checker uses live data and actually does get used according to our logs, so we're leaving that. Personally I agree it's a bit on the useless side, but the criteria specifically excluded stuff that more than a few people used.
Ian
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

I thought we were pointing that to some third party tools ie. the help article here. Guess that never happened though. I think we should probably just build on the support content. Perhaps link to some third party WYSIWYG web apps like the one here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

gary
Grafter

Quote from: jelv

I've used it not that long ago.

Me too .... although I was testing something Smiley
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I use it too, when I can't be bothered to log into work  Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
scootie
Grafter

widgets sound good way to view usage data ect as long as these widgets dont use alot of bandwidth
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Personally I much prefer the Royal Mail postcode/address finder, though you do have to register.
It gives much more detail and allows you to work out exactly which code is relevant on roads with multiple postcodes (like mine) as you can see a full list of properties - even companies in commercial locations.
Be3G
Grafter

I did try the postcode checker once, but it didn't work (told me the address didn't exist or something like that) so ended up registering to use RM's one.