cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splitting Router

stockportgym
Hooked

Splitting Router

Is it possible to split the router with different wifi passwords? We have a business to run and need to be connected, however we also let customers us the wifi and when the gym is busy we can't get on the internet. It's fine during quiet periods. We could do with having one part for the business and one part for the customers or maybe the possibility that our laptops get priority over customers.

Can this be done?

13 REPLIES 13
BRABUS
Grafter

Re: Splitting Router

Sorry to clarify this a bit....

are you saying that you can't connect to your wifi due to the number of people on it or that your entire internet connection is too slow.

lets see if we can help you

theopapa32
Hooked

Are any of your devices, business computers tablets etc capable of running on a 5ghz frequency?

stockportgym
Hooked

What we see is that the laptop falls off the network and then cannot reconnect.

stockportgym
Hooked

Sorry, that question is beyond my comprehension!

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@stockportgym

What router are you using (make and model)?

What type of broadband do you have (ADSL, FTTC) and what speeds do you get http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/  (needs to be ran when no-one else is around just ignore all the red text and click "Yes" and "Begin test". On the second page click the "Further Diagnostics" and then enter the phone number, the click "Run". Please post the results here which will include your BT IP Profile)?

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
theopapa32
Hooked

From my knowledge, one way you could do this is by splitting the wireless frequencies. However, this will only work with Fibre Broadband. If you have the Plusnet Hub One, it is identical to the BT hub 5 with the difference being the colour and software it uses. This following guide shows how to split the signals and they'll come up as 2 separate networks,and will allow you to change the name and password for both, which allows you control the network easier and hopefully boost speed.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/networks/1403054/bt-home-hub-5-settings-guide-how-to-make-it-faster-a...

If this is a little complex, simply google something along the terms of "BT hub 5 frequency splitting" and there will be quite a bit that comes up. 

But if you do not have any 5ghz devices, then they will not pickup the 5ghz signal and you won't be able to see it. Anything on IOS and Android will pick this up.

Hope this helps.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Splitting the frequencies won't help in this case, assuming it is the Hub 1 he has.

You need a router that has Guest WiFi capability, where you can also ensure the Guest side does not have access to all of the Bandwidth. Some of the Netgear routers as well as others can do this. None of the current PN ones can do it.

stockportgym
Hooked

OK, makes sense. If I buy a Guest wifi router will it work with Plusnet? Any model easier to configure than others?

stockportgym
Hooked

Alas I don't have fibre, only ADSL

Thanks for the suggestion though.

theopapa32
Hooked

Hi again,

The other posters suggestion is the best i can think of too. My suggestion does work as i have done it before but it's useless without fibre. But it does have it's drawbacks as i did mention the lack of bandwidth control. It depends how far one wants to go i guess.

I have looked into this for you and i've come up with this product.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linksys-EA6300-AC1200-Smart-Wi-Fi-Cable-Fiber-Multimedia-Router-Gigabit-US...

It has a guest mode and allows you to access the settings to control who and what gets priority. Although it's now the best, reviews aren't too bad for it's price. It's a plug and play system according to my research.

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

@stockportgym

At the risk of seeming like a "stuck record", the Draytek 2820 (or any of the others in that series) can do that by the creation of 2 WiFi networks in two different VLANs. Draytek have a slightly different concept for VLANs compared with the rest of the market but you can easily create 2 networks that can't see each other. For public use I would also isolate the wireless devices from seeing each other on the "public" network.

You can also apply various forms of rate limiting on each of the VLANs to protect your bandwidth.

You need to register (harmless) but the Draytek website has a good guide to doing the guest WiFi bit:

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-wireless-guestnetwork

Typically the 2820 (which does ADSL only without an external modem) can be bought for a few tens of pounds on a well known auction site.

You will find setting it up a bit of a "learning process" so you might want to see if a small business IT firm would come and install and configure it.

I am the satisfied customer....
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

i have a billion 8800NL (supports both ADSL and VDSL) and this supports primary and guest WiFi networks (actually supports up to 3 guest wifis).
i currently have a primary WiFiand 1 guest WiFi where the guest WiFi is on a different IP range and is completely isolated from the main network. anything connected to the guest WiFi cannot see any other device on any part of the whole network.

i am also currently setting up a QoS for the guest WiFi where it only gets a certain percentage of both upstream and downstream.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

just a note the Billion 8800nl r2 is a cheapjack version of the 8800nl http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,18126.0.html and, if it is any concern only has 2.4GHz Wireless