Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split off discussion on rDNS

Estragon
Rising Star

Split off discussion on rDNS

Ouch!
The ShieldsUp (grc) test passed, but before running the test itself gave me
Your Internet connection's IP address is uniquely associated with the following "machine name":
xxxxxxx.plus.com

The string of text above is known as your Internet connection's "reverse DNS."

where xxxxxxx is my account name!
Is there any way of preventing that?
24 REPLIES 24
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Split off discussion on rDNS

@Estragon
Raise a ticket asking that the rDNS doesn't go back to your account name
Mine is now <ipaddress>.plus.com
Estragon
Rising Star

Thanks Jim. Will do immediately.  That should be the default!  Angry
Estragon
Rising Star

If anyone else is concerned about this, I have posted in Feedback.
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Just checked mine.
Your Internet connection has no Reverse DNS
Many Internet connection IP addresses are associated with a DNS machine name. (But yours is not.) The presence of "Reverse DNS", which allows the machine name to be retrieved from the IP address, can represent a privacy and possible security concern for Internet consumers since it may uniquely and persistently identify your Internet account — and therefore you — and may disclose other information, such as your geographic location.
When present, reverse DNS is supported by Internet service providers. But no such lookups are possible with your current Internet connection address (xxx.xx.xxx.xx)That's generally a good thing.

jim:green code changed to quote as it was mucking things up mod:end
Routefinder
Grafter

I noted on GRC when I test that the username appears but poor knowledge on my part was that this was rDNS lookup related Sad
I will submit a Ticket but as noted elsewhere the default should be not to reveal the username
PS edit ~ Ticket submitted and indeed I asked why the default is to show the Username i.e. what logical/legitimate reason can there be for this to be so???
Razer
Grafter

I can only presume that this is for those who have a static IP address as GRC has never shown my username. It currently shows 'dyn', which I can only guess is a PN machine name.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Routefinder

PS edit ~ Ticket submitted and indeed I asked why the default is to show the Username i.e. what logical/legitimate reason can there be for this to be so???

The logic probably is PN email addresses are anything@username.plus.com and rDNS for static IP are username.plus.com.
Estragon
Rising Star

@Kelly :).
Shouldn't something be done about this rDNS problem really? There can't be any valid reason for it not to default to the plain IP address, which is one of the options. Or for the choice to be available when requesting a static IP address, which I expect would be a bigger change. Smiley
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

It's something that's floated around every now and then.  Basically, having your username unavailable is only really a security via obscurity measure anyway (IMO but I'm not an expert) so it's never bounced to the top of any list to be fixed.  After all, that username is available in your email addresses (if you use a PN email address)
I'll chat to security team again about it.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Estragon
Rising Star

Thanks Kelly, I'd appreciate that, and I'm sure several others would as well.  Though the ones here and on tbb who have read my threads seem to have already taken action.
As for it being part of the Plusnet-supplied email address, that's just as bad. It doesn't worry me as I never use it, but ones account username should never be used in any publicly available place. It's probably a hangover from "Noddy" days of innocence  :P.
I'm sending a PM as well about a similar issue, so as not to put ideas in anyone's head. I trust existing PN customers, but who know might see posts :).
Routefinder
Grafter

Evening all
I have had a reply from CSC and the change has been made and apparently will take 24hours to fully update................do I surmise correctly this relates to DNS progation across the web???
As for the reason for such a default position, well the CSC was also unsure of why this was so but refered to it being so that the user can decide wjat they wish it to changed to!!!! Er!, without casting aspertions on the replier/reply it does seem as Estragon says a legacy issue that has never been addressed.  The reply simply says that the default is what it is unless advised otherwise......(by the user??? )
As for the user name appearing in the @addresses for emails.......................well if others such BTconnect.com can simply put the "userchoicename@" before their ISP name then surely PlusNet can do the same.  Now this issue has been aired I think in the light of the hacks & compromises on the likes of Sony, FB and Twitter social networking sites the quicker ISP's like PlusNet tighten up the personal security of its customers by default the better. 
Why by default....................well not all folk are savvy enough to realise or know that there are risks albeit minor (I hope) to be aware of Smiley
itsme
Grafter

The reason that email addresses are anything@username.plus.com is that in the older days users had web space at www.username.plus.com by default. As Plusnet no longer offer this perhaps it's time to look at email addresses, rDNS etc again.
Routefinder
Grafter

Valid comment re the ISP provided webspace..................cannot recall the last time I used ISP space and if that is the only, legacy, reason perhaps a simple(??) step is allow anyone not using the space to have such more secure rDNS and email addresses as required.
But for those still using the ISP webspace to now allow for "informed consent" because like that is a legacy 'product' the web has moved on greatly with consequent increased risk comapred to the "old days"  Wink
Estragon
Rising Star

Quote from: itsme
The reason that email addresses are anything@username.plus.com is that in the older days users had web space at www.username.plus.com by default.

That makes a lot of sense  :).
As Plusnet no longer offer this perhaps it's time to look at email addresses, rDNS etc again.

Indeed  :). Also as Routefinder has replied re the web has moved on.