Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split from: Broadband Speed Issues - 03/10/09

Macazon
Dabbler

Re: Split from: Broadband Speed Issues - 03/10/09

Quote from: Jameseh
Ok - I'll rephrase.
The raise an EPP (End User Poor Performance) fault with BT, they will insit on a BT speedtest showing rubbish throughput.
If you've got one of those recenly, I can raise your fault to them.

The BT speed tests I have done have always given a good speed even when yhe other speed test shows the poor results. So I can't supply a BT speed test showing poor speeds.
James
Grafter

@ leeanthony
It's actually much worse!  Any chance you can plug into the test socket downstairs for ten minutes or so, so that I can test there and see if there's nyimprovement?
James
Grafter

@Macazon
Right thanks.  We're looking into potential performance issues with our own speedtester, just in case.
leeanthony
Grafter

LOL Shocked
Crap.
Well, yeah.. I guess I can but its gonna involve using a long ethernet lead, it was the reason I got this line in my bedroom to avoid that (Damn you BT!) I'll go sort it out now mate, and let you know when its done.
Thanks for your help so far btw, Im impressed that it takes you minutes to do this and Plusnet (Tickets) havent made this much progress in weeks.. Hehe, Fair play to you  Wink
James
Grafter

Smiley
Thanks - It's not necessarily going to be a permanent measure, I just want to be able to see if the errors still happen when you're using the other socket.
Macazon
Dabbler

I don't think it's your speed tester that's the problem, as browsing slows to a crawl and if I try and download anything it agrees with the speedtester result.
leeanthony
Grafter

Done James.
Now using the Test socket downstairs
leeanthony
Grafter

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/ ; Usually measures my ping at 75ms (On a good day)
Now using the line downstairs, its measuring it at 66. (Honestly, 66 has always been my number, whether lucky or unlucky im not sure :P)
But thats quite funny for me anyway, for it be 66 haha. I wonder if this is going to turn out a good thing (To say the phone line in my room is the culprit) I hope so
James
Grafter

Right - The errors are still there.
The fact that your ping has improved slightly may indicate that you're using the actual master socket, which is a good thing.
In this case, turning interleaving *on* may actually help your connection as it should the errors that we're seeing on the downstream side and it might actually improve your latency into the 50's.  Worth trying if you'd like me to and we can get it turned back off again within a working day if it doesn't help.
leeanthony
Grafter

Cry was really expecting good news then! So using either socket upstairs or downstairs doesnt really make a difference?
I was about to call BT and tell them to come out and fix the line in my bedroom... Doh!
Well I may aswel get rid of this horrible cable and use the socket upstairs again, and if you think having interleaving on will get rid of the spikes then yeah please, sure, lets try that at least.
What you said about the errors, packet loss, and phone lines noise thingy being worse at night... that really made sense, because it is usually at those sort of times when this fault wakes back up and reoccurs. What if there is an interal wiring problem on both sockets in my house, even if its such a slight problem that BT themselves cant even identify it through a Line test... thats my concern. I just want a perfect line for my gaming. Other than turning interleaving on, what do you recommend? Where should I go from here, to do next?
leeanthony
Grafter

James just before you do that, would you be able to check the errors again in another 10 minutes or so.
I have no idea if its a possible cause of these problems, but I have just unplugged the router and reconnected it with a brand new ADSL line going into the phone socket, aswel as a new Micro filter. Still using the test socket downstairs too. I have just replugged the router now, so I guess its worth a try. Let me know if theres any improvements or not please Smiley
leeanthony
Grafter

Umm WTF Smiley
Now my ping on http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/ is measuring as 82ms and my speedtest result is half of what it usually is, with this new ADSL cable and microfilter. Cheesy
How about the errors just before I change it back, seems like these new pieces are another problem in themself though ha
James
Grafter

It's a bit better Smiley
Beforehand, I was seeing 8-20 errors on your downstream connection for the period of my test.  This latest one shows just the 4.
Might be an idea to get hold of a filtered faceplate?
leeanthony
Grafter

Bah, so its less errors now.. although my router tells me its connected at 8128 kbps, speedtest is showing only 2.5meg when its usually 5meg. Whats going on there then?
Filtered faceplate.. never heard of it, can I get one of these from Plusnet? Or where should I get one from
leeanthony
Grafter

Have you made any changes recently?
Weird thing is, after trying that new microfilter and adsl cable my speed decreased by half.
I just put the old microfilter back in aswel as the old adsl cable, and now my speed is still 2.5meg, Its usually 5meg Shocked What have I done  Roll_eyes
Trying to fix one problem, just created another... well played me