cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speedtouch "green Frog" USb modem keep it, bin it, or??

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Speedtouch "green Frog" USb modem keep it, bin it, or??

Ive Just been having a sort out, and ive found my old Speedtouch Green USb modem that was provided to me when i first had ADSL ( via freeserve as it was back then )
Is it worth keeping, should it be binned, or is there another use for it?
when plugged into my PC (windows 7) it says drivers not found.
looks like this
9 REPLIES 9
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Speedtouch "green Frog" USb modem keep it, bin it, or??

Convert it into a Christmas tree decoration.  Cheesy
Method0ne
Grafter

There's about as much chance of you making use of that as there is of me plugging in my original, Plusnet supplied, Binatone ADSL500 modem..
Wink
CX
Grafter

Put it in a box and shove it in the attic. You'll want it for future nostalgia trips.  Wink (hugs box containing 3Dfx Voodoo, Aureal Vortex cards and Socket 7 CPUs and other assorted...junk)
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Im asuming - juding on the lack of drivers for windows 7 as a big clue that its not compatable with modern ADSL??
the only nostalgia i have for it is coming home and wondering when both lights would go green, and then resigning myself to another day of dial up.
  when the lights did go green i had the novelty of super fast 512k broadband, and the ability to use the phone/not tie up the phone line as well
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Quote from: pint
when plugged into my PC (windows 7) it says drivers not found.

Just cause M$ doesn't support something doesn't meant it is redundant (unless you have a bottom less wallet) just stick it in a box or on ebay.
It would probably (I don't have one to check) still work under Linux and work with an ADSL line for checking.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Wow, that brings back memories of working for Freeserve support in a previous life!
Hang on to it for a little longer and it might reach antique status, otherwise there may be some welcome recipients to its outer casing here: http://thehappyhermitcrab.blogspot.co.uk/p/hermit-crab-rescue.html
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I thought there was always a problem with those when Vista came out - there were no frog drivers.
I never heard of any being written - though I may be wrong.
So you may have trouble getting it to run on W7. I suppose you could go back to XP Grin
To me, sounds about as useful as a HMV gift voucher.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

I'm keeping mine (rectangular dark grey version) along with the driver CD and instructions, for the reasons Adam alludes to. It may well become an icon akin to the ZX81.
Not for nothing is Kitz's router stats info page kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: CX
Put it in a box and shove it in the attic. You'll want it for future nostalgia trips.  Wink (hugs box containing 3Dfx Voodoo, Aureal Vortex cards and Socket 7 CPUs and other assorted...junk)

[ot (sorry)]Yeah... I can empathise with this. I have a bag in my loft that contains the internal workings of a BBC B, a Commodore 64 and other assorted electrical bits and bobs that I hope to encapsulate in resin and use to build a table top with. And I'm still married (!)[/ot]