cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speedtest.net showing my ISP as Infonet Services instead of Plusnet technologies

DanManchester

Speedtest.net showing my ISP as Infonet Services instead of Plusnet technologies

Hi all,
Probably nothing to worry about but I'm curious as to why Speedtest.net thinks my ISP is now called Infonet Services Corporation ?Huh
My last two speedtests:

and before that:

21 REPLIES 21
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Speedtest.net showing my ISP as Infonet Services instead of Plusnet technologies

Hi Dan,
Your graphics are not displaying on the post.
There might be a reasonable 'normal' explanation fr this like the speed test service has incorrectly associated your dynamic IP to the wrong ISP, however there are other causes which are of some concern.
I know this is going to sound daft, but we've seen this before on the forums... Was this a wireless connected test and can you be sure you were connected to your PN router and not a nearby unsecured stronger wifi service?
Also can you do a 17070 test and confirm you have the right phone number.  BTOR contractors are not unknown for getting lines crossed over...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DanManchester

Re: Speedtest.net showing my ISP as Infonet Services instead of Plusnet technologies

Hi Townman,
Thanks for the reply, yes I'm definitely connected (laptop wirelessly) to my router which is a BT Homehub 4, and can se on the router config page my named device/ laptop connected.
I have been "tinkering" with some settings ie: disabled UPnP then restarted router and I'm guessing this has given me the new IP address which Speedtest seem to be confusing?
Dan
AndyH
Grafter

Hi
This is due to the IP Range 146.200.0.0/16 that Plusnet now are using/own still being listed as Infonet Services Corporation as the owner on the ARIN database:
NetRange:       146.200.0.0 - 146.200.255.255
CIDR:           146.200.0.0/16
OriginAS:       AS6871
NetName:        PLUSNET1
NetHandle:      NET-146-200-0-0-1
Parent:         NET-146-0-0-0-0
NetType:        Direct Assignment
RegDate:        1991-02-28
Updated:        2013-08-29
Ref:            http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-146-200-0-0-1
OrgName:        INFONET Services Corporation
OrgId:          INFO
Address:        2160 East Grand Avenue
City:           El Segundo
StateProv:      CA
PostalCode:     90245-1022
RegDate:
Updated:        2011-11-30
Ref:            http://whois.arin.net/rest/org/INFO

I think this is due to be corrected or amended.
DanManchester

aaah thanks Andy, so it's nothing to worry about then  Smiley ...I was thinking that I'd broken the internet!  Grin
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

It's exactly as Andy has mentioned above.
If you log into your router hit the 'Disconnect' and then 'Connect' button you should be assigned a different IP address which isn't affected by this. We're still chasing an update on this and we'll get the Service Status updated too.
materialman
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Chris

If you log into your router hit the 'Disconnect' and then 'Connect' button you should be assigned a different IP address which isn't affected by this. We're still chasing an update on this and we'll get the Service Status updated too.

Same for me on a speed test too (Infonet). Doing what you suggest doesn't change it. I did notice I lost internet for a minute just before the test, so went to the router to see all lights were on and it had been connected for 2 days or so.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

If you get another IP address in the same pool, you'll get the same result.
This is not a material issue, I'd not worry about it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

paulbforum

"This is not a material issue, I'd not worry about it. "
Well, it sort of is, as I've just wasted a small chunk of my life trying to find out why Dropbox warned me that there had been a log-in to my account from the USA! And it turned out it was because of this IP address, still registered in the USA.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi paulbforum,
Thanks for flagging this up to us. I can confirm that we have switched the details over for these IP ranges however there are a few companies out there that may still be using an out of date database for these, as such it seems Dropbox is one of them and are still seeing these addresses as being our in the USA.
I've flagged this internally now so our Network team should be in touch with Dropbox to kindly ask that they update their records.
Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this caused.
AndyH
Grafter

The records haven't been updated, that's the issue (not an out-of-date database):
http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-146-200-0-0-1/pft
Still showing as Infonet - which I gather Plusnet cannot change for some reason.
Simon96

still showing up infonet as 146.199.102.64 
It has been 8 months since this section was started and you cant get a few records updated.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Simon,
It has not been for the sake of trying... form the link above in Andy's post...
Point of Contact
Note ARIN has attempted to validate the data for this POC, but has received no response from the POC since 2010-12-22
Registration Date 2001-05-03
Last Updated 2009-12-22
Email swip@bt.infonet.com

The dark side has a finger in here, so we are all doomed, doomed Mr Mainwaring!  Roll_eyes
Kevin

sizzler27

Just found this thread quite by accident and thought I'd add my experiences to it..
About a year ago or perhaps a bit longer I had a series events like the ones mentioned in this thread except that the alternative hoster I was being flagged as using by speedtest.com was a tiscalli address which went on for about 6 months. No one ever got to the bottom of how or why it was happening and it resulted in me parting company with my file host who accused me of sharing my account with a number of other people.
I'm not sure when but this eventually changed to infonet services as the alternative ISP and this still happens now, usually after a disconnect for whatever reason and I can usually get back to Plusnet tech. by logging out of the server and back in again. Anyway, this is definitely still going on, at least for me.
EDIT-I'd just like to add for clarity, since the "Infonet" events started there have been no "Tiscali" events which has led to me always believing that it is the same fault and for some reason beyond my ken the phantom ISP had changed from Tiscali to Infonet.
Since reading this thread I have become a little less sure of this and perhaps the Tiscali and the Infonet events are unconnected.
It would be nice to get to the bottom of this.
gwowders
Grafter

Hi,
Not sure if this is still important to anyone but I've just got my modem connected for the first time and have been assigned an Infonet IP - http://www.speedtest.net/result/4422016601.png
Ben