Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speedtest Loction Help

Y2J
Grafter

Speedtest Loction Help

Hi
When i do a speed test from speedtest.net and pingtest.net it says my closest server is Maidenhead even tho i live near Liverpool/Wigan
I get a higher ping from the test when using manchester as a test server and 23 ping from maidenhead.
Does this effect anything or is it the same for everyone, my mates on sky and he in the right place.
Cheers
Lee
5 REPLIES 5
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Speedtest Loction Help

IIRC there's several main hubs that all connections go through. Yours might not be routed through the closest, but I suspect that the main hub your connection is routed through is closer to maidenhead rather than manchester hence the difference. It's definitely down to how your connection is routed from the exchange.
paulmh5
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

When using Speedtest.net you are likely to get a lower ping when using the London node however this doesn't seem to be an option for pingtest.net.  Bandwidth throughput should be more or less the same for any of them depending on the links the server providers have and the congestion along them.
Plusnet Staff - Lead Network Design/Delivery Engineer
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

All of the Plusnet gateways where we connect to Plusnet are in London as are the Plusnet peering connections to the internet. For ALL Plusnet users the servers in the south east of England will be closest - even if you are in John O' Groats, Belfast or Lands End.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ahh, thanks Jelv. Should have known that really, but now I do Smiley
Y2J
Grafter

Ah right i see
Thanks for the replies  Wink