cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeds suddenly up and down like a yoyo. Please help!

Doorman
Grafter

Speeds suddenly up and down like a yoyo. Please help!

Hi,
After some teething problems when I joined plusnet well over a year ago I've been getting steady speeds of around 14+ meg whenever I've checked using BT wholesale speed test, However over the last couple of days I've noticed things are very very slow at times so have been repeatedly speed testing and results are all over the place from 1 to 14 meg. Same thing whether I test wired or wirelessly.
Now the only thing that could possibly be worth a mention, although it might only explain a drop rather than yoyo effect ,is for the last 3 months I've had builders working on the house which has meant a number of power outages while they do the electrics. The connection itself has been rock solid though so any disconnections anyone can see at plusnets end. that have been between now and the start of Jan, would be due to the builders and nothing to do with an unstable connection.
I hope I've attached all the relevant info but please tell me if I can add anything more to help. Many thanks in advance for any help!
17 REPLIES 17
Doorman
Grafter

Re: Speeds suddenly up and down like a yoyo. Please help!

Tested again 40 minutes later and as you can see the result is entirely different. Nothings changed, I've been online permanently using the same laptop since the last test, no one else in the house, yet speeds have dropped drastically. They will no doubt go back up again next test I do!
AndyT
Grafter

Hi Doorman,
I've had a look at your circuit and I've got a feeling that your fluctuating throughput speeds are being caused by the Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) target being set too low at 3db.  I've placed an order to increase this to 6db which should help to provide more consistent speeds.  The order has completed successfully, so if you're able to continue monitoring over the next few days and let us know if you have any further problems, that would be great.
Thanks
Doorman
Grafter

Hi Andy,
Thanks for that but I think I may have solved the problem although I can't explain why. I did a speed test this morning and still had problems so I thought I'd try a different laptop just to see what would happen. When I opened up my second laptop it seems it had been closed without being shutdown, was connected to my network but not connecting to the internet for some reason. I shut it down and rebooted and problem solved. BT Wholesale speed test came in at over 16 meg which I can't explain given that they show my ip profile at around 14. Anyway, I tried the original laptop I had been using and everything is back to normal again with no problems. I'm not home at the moment but will run a few more tests tonight just to confirm all is still OK.
AndyT
Grafter

Ah good, glad it seems to be sorted.  Can't go wrong with a ''turn it off and on again'' from time to time  Wink
The change to the SNR target should help keep the speeds more stable as well going forward, but feel free to post again if you do have any further issues over the next few days.
Cheers,
Andy
Doorman
Grafter

Do you have a record of how long that SNR was low? Up until a couple of days ago I had not had any problems whatsoever but since raising the SNR my speeds have decreased a little as has my ip profile. If the SNR wasn't the problem then can we get it lowered again as my aim is to get my line speed back to how I'd had it originally as I had been very happy!
Also the speeds plusnet has be down at is lower than the BT IP profile. Why is that? And can you explain why this speed test (see attached) came in at considerably higher than both the plusnet and BT ip profile? This was the last test I did after thinking I'd solved the problem but before my SNR was raised so I'm hoping I can get back to these speeds on a regular basis. Since raising the SNR I'm only getting around the 13 mark every time which is definitely at the VERY low end of the speeds I was consistently getting without problem before this issue came up.
Doorman
Grafter

Quote from: AndyT
Ah good, glad it seems to be sorted.  Can't go wrong with a ''turn it off and on again'' from time to time  Wink
The change to the SNR target should help keep the speeds more stable as well going forward, but feel free to post again if you do have any further issues over the next few days.
Cheers,
Andy

Hi Andy,
Do you think you could get my SNR put back as it was? See my post above for details....thanks.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

We can get it put back to a 3db target although if the DLM wants to increase it again it can do it.
Do you still want to go ahead with it?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Doorman
Grafter

Well I think so. As I mentioned, before this temporary problem that seems as though it might have been caused by the other device playing up, I was getting steady speeds for a long time and higher than I'm getting now with no issue at all. So with that in mind I'd like to go back to the lower SNR in the hope of putting everything back  how it was.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'll go sort that request out.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Ah, I can't request this at the moment. There was an SNR reset placed on the 16th, so I can't place another one until after the 25th April.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Doorman
Grafter

Oh OK, that will be the one Andy put in when trying to figure out the problem. I'll post again on the 25th to ask someone to do it. Thanks for trying!
dick:quote
Doorman
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
Ah, I can't request this at the moment. There was an SNR reset placed on the 16th, so I can't place another one until after the 25th April.

Quick reminder, it's the 27th so could you put in that request for me now? Thanks.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Whilst I'd love to do it straight away for you, currently I cannot access BTwholesale. I hope we can arrange this later today for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Doorman
Grafter

Thanks, no worries. If you can have another try before the day is over I would appreciate it.
dick:quote