Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeds now lower than the guaranteed speed

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Speeds now lower than the guaranteed speed

I've had BT "engineers" visit too and find no fault ... yet the tests systems used by Plusnet still report a fault.

I once had a dozen plus engineers visiting claiming that they could not find a fault ... eventually a pucky young lady turned up - she found the fault and I never saw another engineer!

For me those stats look rather odd, which points to something being not quite right...

You are using a Hub One which is a BTHH5a, so I would look at running router stats 24x7.  There is a special version for HH5a routers - see the link below.  Keep an eye on the SNRM figures - reflecting on those speeds and SNRM values, I am starting to wonder if you have a dose of REIN?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pv
Grafter

I'll have a look at router stats. You might be right about REIN, I have experience with that, but that was many years ago. The issue "fixed itself" without me making any changes within my house. I'd much rather have a problem that produces audible noise on a quiet line test!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@pv wrote:

I'd much rather have a problem that produces audible noise on a quiet line test!

Tell me about it!  Phone line is silent as a graveyard.

Inbound calls...

RSHub-NoiseMargin-20220408-203738.jpg

Line balance is bad - BT Engineer has been, fiddled with the circuit - it is worse after the visit than it was before.  Awaiting a further visit.  Point is line monitoring such as this can shine (do forgive the pun) a lot of light on RFI (REIN) induced issues.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pv
Grafter

@Townman here is my horror show of a noise margin graph. One data point every 10 seconds, total time covered is 1 hour.

rstats.jpg

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I would wander around and switch off (unplug) electrical devices and see if any stop that happening.

This is grim, but clearly the source of your issues.

@Gandalf what does the line balance look like please?

pv
Grafter

I have already been doing some of that, but I know from experience that electrical interference external to the property can also affect the line.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hiya @pv Smiley

I'm really sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your speed and for the hassle this is causing. 

I can see we have booked an engineer visit for this morning between 08:00 and 13:00.  Once the appointment has ended our faults team will review the engineer notes and get back to you in the following days. 

Please get back to me if you need me to chase this up for you. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
pv
Grafter

Hi @SammyM , following the engineer visit on Monday, my speed went up to 62 Meg, however this morning I am back down to 51 Meg .

Did the engineer leave any notes for the visit?

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Thanks for getting back to me @pv, I am really sorry to hear that the speed has decreased and for the hassle this is causing. 

The engineer did say there was an external fault that cleared as he did a lift and shift at the exchange. Can ask if you are using the new router we ordered at the end of March? 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
pv
Grafter

@SammyM thank you for your reply. Yes I am using the new router you supplied in March.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks @pv, I've just performed a test on the line and it shows a sync speed of around 51mb but no obvious reasons for the drop, could you try connecting into the test socket again please just to see if that varies?

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
pv
Grafter

@adamwalker okay I will do, but at the moment every re-sync is a lottery as to what speed I get, so any re-sync, test socket or otherwise, can temporarily boost my speed back up.

pv
Grafter

@adamwalker i performed 3 consecutive re-syncs in the master socket test socket. The sync speed in each case was:

1. 62256 kbps
  2. 62554 kbps
  3. 51026 kbps
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Cheers PV, I'd definitely avoid multiple resyncs if you can. Diagnostic tests don't show anything obvious so it would be best to go ahead with another visit. Please let me know if you'd like to go ahead with that. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
pv
Grafter

Understood about avoiding resyncs, however it was necessary to do the resyncs to demonstrate the random resync speeds. Thankfully the issue is not causing frequent disconnections or packet loss so in the interests of not having an endless succession of engineers finding nothing I'm going to put up with this and chalk it down to external REIN.

if you are minded to provide any financial compensatory measure for my considerable loss of speed, all well and good. If not, all well and good too.