cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeds now lower than the guaranteed speed

pv
Grafter

Speeds now lower than the guaranteed speed

When I first joined Plusnet in June last year I got 70 meg, until the end of March it was between between 70 meg and 65 meg which is OK.

However in the last couple of weeks I have seen sync speeds drop significantly, sometimes as low as 46 meg. I currently have a sync of 52 meg and the control panel is reporting speeds lower than the guaranteed speed.

• Engineer tested the line extensively, found no issues
  • Router in the same place as always, no changes within the house
  • Master socket test socket yields the same results
  • All tests done over a wired connection (but it's not a throughput issue anyway)
  • New router and cable to phone socket on the engineers advice, no improvement
  • Noise margins are all over the place

Am I stuck with this until FTTP comes along?

Screenshot 2022-04-09 133240.png

35 REPLIES 35
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Speeds now lower than the guaranteed speed

Your current speed is just under the MGS so I would suspect a fault on the telephone line.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pv
Grafter

Thanks for your reply, I have performed several quiet line tests in the last couple of weeks and all have been free of any audible noise.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Have you followed the slow broadband speed checks? See the link below.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pv
Grafter

Yes.

pv
Grafter

Line dropped this morning, sync speed even worse now.

Screenshot 2022-04-10 105447.png

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@pv 

Report a fault at https://faults.plus.net.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

pv
Grafter

As a result my speed is well below the downstream handback threshold.

Screenshot 2022-04-10 110936.png

pv
Grafter

@Baldrick1 as per my original post, that's already been done, and an engineer has visited.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@pv  then do it again if your fault ticket has been closed.

Sometimes it can take a few visits to find a fault unless it is obvious.

pv
Grafter

@Mustrum the person I spoke to yesterday at Plusnet told me there was no problem with my line. I'm hoping a member of staff on this forum will take the issue more seriously since my last telephone interaction was completely fruitless.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

DSL stats without attenuation and SNRM details are of little meaningful use, for without them there is no context for the speed figures.

pv
Grafter

@Townman here's some more stats.

Screenshot 2022-04-10 121211.png

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

To me those stats look odd - certainly compared to mine.

The US attenuation is higher than the DS - mine are the other way around.  Your US attenuation is 5dB more than mine, yet your line delivers twice the US than does mine.  My US attenuation is 7dB more than yours, yet I see 33% more DS speed.

Both of the DB & US SNRMs are low, yet so are the sync speeds.  And the US/DS ratios seem unusual (to me).

Is the router plugged into the test socket?  It is important that all internal wiring is removed to establish a clear baseline for sync speed.  An  ADSL issue I am looking at elsewhere sees a 33% degradation if not plugged into the master socket.  Internal extensions can be real speed killers. 

If you have not already done so, I would raise a fault report - at worst it can do no harm.

pv
Grafter

@Townman as per my original post, a fault was raised, and an engineer visited. No fault found. I did get a MK4 faceplate out of the visit at least! As also previously noted, the router has been plugged into the master socket test socket with the same results.