Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeds not very good

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Speeds not very good

I don't think we can draw any conclusions about wiring Kevin, they is clearly something more significant having an effect here. Some sort of interference for example could be having an effect and if it's varying, sync speed will change every time.
@bluesamboy
If you read this tonight, can you post up some more DSL stats this evening, I'd like to see how much the SNRM may be varying and how the errors are doing.
Anotherone
Champion

I've also got a few extra queries now that it's obvious something ain't right. You were with Sky before so I take it you have a Sky box.
Is the Sky Box plugged into the phone line? Is it plugged in via a filter, and do all your Microfilters look like this?
How many extension sockets have you got? And can you tell us what's plugged into them?
As Townman mentioned, the Target SNRM seems to be 9dB at the moment. If it were down at 3dB, which you may have had with Sky (although their line management is different) you'd probably get the same 13Mbps you had with Sky BUT this is still some way below what you should be able to achieve.
bluesamboy
Grafter

Sorry I've not been at home to follow anything up.
Quote from: Townman
Seems like the internal wires are giving you a little degradation - you were 2.5Mbps better off in the test socket.  Now that you have removed the bell wire (at both ends?) you are 1.1Mbps better off in the extension socket.

That's true but my sync speed was only 8Mbps when I first plugged it into the test socket. When I removed the bell wire it had already jumped to just over 10Mbps so now its just over 11Mbps, the line is actually better than it was when in the test socket. Saying that I should probably try plugging it into the test socket again as that probably has nothing to do with it.
Quote from: Anotherone
Is the Sky Box plugged into the phone line? Is it plugged in via a filter, and do all your Microfilters look like this?
How many extension sockets have you got? And can you tell us what's plugged into them?

Yeah they look like that. I don't have sky at all now, I use free sat but the box is plugged in via Ethernet. I think I have 2 other extensions but I'll need to check when I'm home. I don't have any land line connected, the only thing that's connected to anything is the router itself. I'll get some stats too.
Thank you! Smiley
bluesamboy
Grafter

Okay so I have done two stats screen shots Photo 1 is of my stats in my normal socket photo 2 is in the test socket and photo 3 is a photo of my extension, the only one I can find. So i think socket 3 might be the bell wire? Hope that helps Smiley
EDIT:
Now I'm confused as I went onto my account to reply to Tony to tell him I'll wait to book an engineer until we have done all we can here. But someone else in support as replied to my other ticket with this:
"Thank you for your patience with all of this.
I have been testing your line today and this is reporting a solid connection.
The line has disconnected once in over 24 hours. It is currently reporting over 9 Mb as your download speed, this is a good speed for the line. "
Whats is that all about as it contradicts everything we have been talking about on here?Huh
Anotherone
Champion

Unfortunately you get some agents that don't know what they are talking about and this looks like one of them.
Here is a suggested reply -
"With all due respect, you do not know what you are talking about - with my attenuation line I should be achieving far better speeds and the current speed is far lower than I was getting on Sky. However, at this time I'm investigating  internal wiring matters to ensure that I don't have any potential problems that might cause line drops and I will update the ticket further in due course."
Right, now then back to sockets and wiring etc.
But, first as you've had a number of disconnects, most may have been swapping from one socket to test socket etc. the exchange DLM (Dynamic Line Management) has raised your Target Noise margin to 12dB by the looks of the latest stats, this means your speed is now slower. But not to worry, this can be reset in due course. Also, it's better to do anything that involves sync loss in the daytime, as noise levels are higher after dark and you can end up with slower speeds, but as you are on a relatively short line, you may get away with it once we know the wiring is in order.
So to avoid any such issues like that any time in the future, if you need to do anything that involves a loss of sync then use the following Disconnect method -
Log in to the Modem/Router, in the Internet box, click Disconnect to drop the PPP Internet session (this is not the sync), wait about a minute and then power down the Modem/Router. After about another minute you can unplug it from the line.
Do whatever is needed, but stay offline for at least 10 minutes. When you re-connect and power up, Login to the Modem/Router and click Connect to establish a new PPP session.
Don't do this more than 5 times in an hour, then leave it for the rest of the day. This method is to help stop the Exchange DLM from thinking your sync loss was a dropped connection.
If you have a modem/router that doesn't have an interface for you to drop the PPP session, then pull the power plug and wait a minute or two before unplugging from the line.
Now looking at that socket picture, there's two lots of wires connected which means there is another socket somewhere.
You need to do two things - stay connected at the test socket for now (or move back to it if you are not there - don't forget the disconnect method).
Whilst you are connected the test socket, take your phone and a spare filter and plug it into your normal socket and make sure it is dead - no dial tone. Find the other socket and do the same there, check it is dead. Have a look at the wiring behind and see if there is only one lot of wires. If there are two lots of wires, you have another socket to find! Carry on like this until you have found them all and be sure they are all dead.
If you aren't sure about any wiring, post a picture.
Now at each socket, only the Blue+white trace on 2 and White+blue trace on 5 should be connected. If it is dead, gently remove the wires from all the other terminals. Lightly twist each pair of disconnected wires as a pair, ie both orange and both green. Curl them up at the back of the box so that they won't touch the terminals of the socket when it's refitted.
If you find any socket that is not dead, take a picture of the wiring and post it.
One other check, when your log into the modem/router, can you look in the section "Technicolor Gateway" and see what the Software release is.
bluesamboy
Grafter

Thanks again!
I'll have a go tonight, so I'm basically disconnecting the orange /white which I assume is the bell wire and the green/white too? What does that one do? Why have so many unessesery wires ha!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

So many wires?  Old / different wiring standards.
Something AO did not suggest, but I think is a good idea, is when you disconnect the wires from terminals 1,3,4 & 6 is cut off the bare ends and twist together each matching colour+white and white+colour pair before curling them out of the way in the back of the box.
After the internal wiring is sorted, we can return to the incorrect advice you have been given.  I suspect that your line could be performing within BTOR's very conservative estimates, but that is a far cry from what the line should do.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

HI,
I'm back on the case. I'll call you soon to try to progress for you. In this case I'd rather send an engineer than have you make changes to your socket.
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Tony,
For clarity, these are extension sockets - which would normally be the EU's responsibility and therefore attract charges if worked on by BTOR.  Are you offering to fix these FOC or will there be a charge?  Would not want there to be a confusion of expectations.  Wink
This is clearly a self install (screw terminals not idc) probably by a previous occupant.  Indeed it is no different to my installation which I did whilst the builder was still building the house - before I knew better and DECT phones were as common (and cheap) as they are now!
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

Tony, I can only emphasise what Kevin has said, these are internal wiring issues that need to be addressed before anything else.
@bluesamboy,  to be clear, there should only be the blue pair connected at all sockets - ie Blue+white on 2, White+blue on 5  - Remove and deal with the other wires as Kevin has mentioned.
You need to find all extension sockets and do this on all.
Also check that none of them have a capacitor fitted as shown here - they may be black or blue, but are usually yellow.
And whilst you are plugged into the test socket, check that ALL extension sockets are dead (no dial tone or other noises).
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Townman  / Anotherone,
I understand what you are both saying here, and in this case I have assured the EU that there will be no charges to him for the engineer visit. I am fully behind you (and agree) with the need to remove extension leads, but in this particular case, I (personally) feel that it isn't right when they are hard wired in as they are in this case.
If a customers feels comfortable removing them then fair enough as this can resolve the issue instantly. I just feel that in this particular case an engineer is the best option.

Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Anotherone
Champion

Tony, I'm sorry to say that they are NOT hardwired in the sense that you are thinking, When they are connected to the rear of the removable faceplate that is totallly a customers' responsibility. However we need to establish that all the sockets in the house are wired like that and that indeed none are star-wired anywhere onto the main line. Now if that turns out to be the case case, then that is another matter.
bluesamboy
Grafter

Hi folks,
I am going to go with an engineer visit, tony has assured me I won't be charged. If it is internal wire stuff I'll have a play after the visit. I really do appreciate all your help and advice though, I've learned quite a lot. If it is internal wiring, then I wouldn't be surprised, the builder at the time was a subcontractor which was later sacked I think.
Something that has come up, which probably has nothing to do with it, is that people on my exchange are now being refused new lines as the exchange is full. Someone moved from sky to EE, their line failed to activate and they have been told the exchange is full but will hopefully placed on an 8Mbps line until its resolved. As they are building more houses other new owners are being told the same, no estimate on when they will have more capacity.
I'll keep you up to date after the visit on Wednesday.
Thanks
Anotherone
Champion

You should still carry out the checks I've listed whilst at the Test socket. IF there are any sockets still live when connected to the test socket, ie.it turns out there is star wiring on the main line, then you WILL need the engineer to resolve that WHILST he is there, otherwise it may well get overlooked - I have senn things like that happen before.
bluesamboy
Grafter

Okay I think I have done all you've asked.
The photo with the orange circuit board is the other extension I found before I removed the bell wire. The photo with the yellow circuit board is the one I posted last light but with the wires moved as requested.
I now have my router plugged directly into the test socket.
Did I get all the extensions? Sync speed is still around 10.5Mbps.
No dial tone in any extension when plugged into the test socket, but I only checked before I changed anything.
Software is 10.2.2.B