Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeds not very good

bluesamboy
Grafter

Speeds not very good

Hello,
I have been a plusnet customer for about month, I have already had to request my upload be uncapped. However my speeds still not as good as what i got with SKY. My neighbor had the same problem and got his line fully uncapped or something and his speeds went up.
Is there anything else that can be done?
My router sync stats are 888kbps up and around 8Mbps down.
My friend is 1.2Mbps up and 16.9 down. Although he does live around the corner but I didn't think it would make THAT much difference, but as I said his speeds were quite a bit lower to start with too.
When I was with SKY I don't know what my stats were but i did get speeds tests of about 1 up and 13 down.
Any help would be great.
Thanks
119 REPLIES 119
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Speeds not very good

Hi Bluesamboy,
Welcome to the forums.  Can you please gather the data requested here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html and post it to this thread.

To pick up some points you've made.
1. 888kbps US indicates your US is already uncapped and you are on a 21CN service
2. 8Mbps DS might indicate that you are on ADSL(1) modulation (for some reason) which is limited to 8Mbps
3. What you friend is getting is no assurance that you can get the same.  Individual lines can be quite different.
4. SKY use different in-exchange equipment and there comparisons are not always comparable.
I suspect that (2) is the issue here, though is your phone line quiet?  Dial 17070 option 2.

Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bluesamboy
Grafter

Hi,
Thanks for getting back to me. I've left my laptop at work so I hope these are okay? See attached Smiley
The upload is a bit weird, but that sometime happens on speedtest.net.
Thanks for your help.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I think an 8Mb ADSL2+ option does exist, although there's no reason why plusnet should put anyone on that.
bluesamboy
Grafter

My stats are similar as far as I can tell as my mates. We are on the same cabinet too.
Difference is my SNR is much much higher than his. and my Line ATT is lower than his. Does that mean my line can handle more speed?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

These figures are indeed odd!
ejs poses a logical suggestion - ADSL2+ (G.992.5) should deliver you circa 18Mbps - not the 8.079Mbps speed you are seeing, which is what you'd expect for ADSL(1) (G.992.1).
The high SNRM is consequential to the "strapped" synch speed.  Indeed your lower attenuation does mean that your line might do better than the other one.
This issue requires PlusNet CRT assistance to check out your line configuration with BTw.  Something is amiss - I have not seen a line configured / performing like this before.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bluesamboy
Grafter

Thank you townman. I thought something must be up.
I know i'll have to wait until Monday. Plusnet staff is there anything you can do for me here please?Huh
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Hi and welcome bluesamboy,
I've done quite a few tests on your line but they are all coming back 'clean'.
I'm going to try to reset the port at the exchange for you. This should take about ten minutes or so. If this fails, and the above suggestions all prove to be OK, I will need you to raise a fault report here.
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
bluesamboy
Grafter

Thanks Tony
Do I need to reset my router or anything? When will I know if it has/hasn't worked?
Thanks
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Hi,
I'm sorry to say that neither resolution that I tried worked. I'll need you to raise a fault report on the above link I'm afraid.
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Tony,
Is the line / port / service correctly provisioned?
I know that US can be manually selected - is it possible that ADSL2+ has been configured with a 8Mbps US "cap"?
What is the target SNRM please - 12dB or is it lower and the reported SNRM is elevated due to the limited synch speed?

@Bluesamboy,
Did you do the quiet line test?
Are you plugged into the master socket or an extension?  If an extension, can you please try the master socket?  If the master socket is a NTE5 with a removable faceplate, please remove it and plug into the exposed test socket.  This will disconnect all extensions.  Whilst you are doing that, please check how many wires are connected to the faceplate - there should only be two on pins 2&5.
Kevin

bluesamboy
Grafter

Hi Townman
No noise that I can tell, but its a cordless phone.
Tested in master socket, results attached, it did give me a speed boost up to 10.5Mbps, still not as high as i thought it should be though.
It does look like the bell? wire is attached. There were 3 wires going in., I understand this may cause interference?
I've raised a fault the questions insisted that my line regularly drops, which I've never noticed but there was no 'not noticed' answer. I didn't have another router to test at the time, but I do now and the results were the same.
See what response I get to the fault.
Thanks for your help
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Bluesamboy,
This is a good result.  It shows that the line is not in someway configured at 8Mbps.  I do though think that the line is set for 12dB operation due to a history of line issues.  CRT will need to look into that and consider doing a line / SNRM reset.
I can see that delivering 2+Mbps more, but that is still somewhere short of the 18Mbps this line should deliver.
The bell wire connection is not helpful.  Was this test in the master socket test port behind the lower faceplate?  A photo might be helpful if you can sort that please.

bluesamboy
Grafter

Hi Townman
Yes I used the test socket behind the lower face plate. Photo attached Smiley
Thanks
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

HI,
Personally I would pull the orange wire on pin 3 then see what you get back at the normal location for the router.
Still need CRT input on target SNRM and / or other configuration constraints.
Kevin