cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeds do not seem to be right

steveuk
Grafter

Speeds do not seem to be right

My speed seems to be up and down and not as high as was estimated, Now i did have a mess with things and i know this can have an effect but still wasen't getting the 48Mbps profile.
My line has always seemed very stable when i was with o2 and always had a download speed of around 2.05MB's so i thought i would get at least 5MB's on fibre most of the time, I did hit 5.25MB's when i was first connected but as i had to move the modem and cables things have been a lot slower.
Current speed = Download Speed: 33368 kbps (4171 KB/sec )   Upload Speed: 9678 kbps (1209.8 KB/sec )
------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT test.
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download Speed
33.58 Mbps

0 Mbps 41.98 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 33.58 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-41.98 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 41.98 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
7.88 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 7.88Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
The highest profile i have seen for my connection was 44Mbps but my speed were poor, I have tryed changing gateways and stuff but does not seem to help.
Just to add i also got some very low speeds the other day to, they were even slower than my o2 adsl connection.
A few test were as low as 10Mbps lol 🙂
22 REPLIES 22
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Speeds do not seem to be right

Hi steveuk,
Sounds as though you might a have fault with the service. Can you run through and complete (if necessary) the <a href="http://faults.plus.net">Broadband Fault Checker</a> please? That way, our Faults Team can investigate any issues you might have further for you.
steveuk
Grafter

Thanks for the update Smiley i will get right on it and see what we get.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Great Smiley
Let me know if there is anything I can do to help in the meantime.
steveuk
Grafter

I don't think plusnet could help with this as we have been trying for years to get BT to fix the phone pole, but basicly over the years a few lorrys have crashed into the phone pole and at one point years ago BT even put a red condemed plate on the poll and untill this day it still hasen't been replaced.
I have seen BT come down my road twice with a lorry with polls on it but they take one look and drive off, The worst part is this pole is in a hospital carpark and one day its going to end up hurting someone if you ask me.
About 7 years ago when we had a lot of problems with the line BT refused to climb the pole so my line is a botched job on the outside. Personly i would like a hole new proper line and not cuts and chops and spliced together jobs but i have no say in this.
I live very close to the green box to, maybe 585meters away at most so i would have thought my speed would have been stable at least (I do not blame you guys and gals though) This is down to BT and there poor work and handling of things. It even took 3 visits for them to even do anything about my line in the first place lol.
Now don't get me wrong my o2 connection was solid for years no issues at all but i still feel there could be an improvment if my line was solid and not spliced together.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

To be honest, if the Telegraph Pole is unsafe, then it is something that definitely needs looking at.
It is completely up to you if you would like us to take a look at things for you Smiley
steveuk
Grafter

If you think there is a chance BT will finaly do something then i would appreciate any help on this matter as over the years i have got nowhere. The pole leans to my right when i look at it and i can even see the cracks in it where the lorrys have crashed into it lol.
BT even made a new hole ready for a new pole but like i say that was years ago maybe 10 years.
If anything a proper line with no splitts and joins would just be a bonus but as i dont have a line fault i doubt anything will be done.
I'm not sure if it is or not but it even looks like one of the lines is party keeping the pole up, I have never seen a line with so much tension on it before it does not hang at all like 99% of lines.  All other lines in my street at least hang a little but this one cable coulden't get any more tension on it even if someone tryed if that makes sense.
zubel
Community Veteran

It would be tragic if "something" happened to the physical line that is stretched which caused BT to *have* to climb the pole, (or in this case, if it is unsafe, replace the pole).
For example, if something were to hit the line and break it - for arguments sake maybe a freak hurricane would whip up a broom handle with a sharp knife attached to the end of it in what could only be described as "a one in a million event" .  Whilst having to do without a phone line for some time, it would certainly mean a fix would be necessary.
Grin

steveuk
Grafter

What bothers me the most is the fact the pole is in the hospital carpark and if it does go its going to cause some harm to something or someone and after about 10 years you would think something would have been done about it.
The cables look an absolute mess aswell, Looks like something from the 1950's haha
The pole must be bad to for the BT guy to refuse to climb it, They even said they will get a cherry picker truck out so my line could be replaced but as you can guess it never happened.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

You might get somewhere by emailing your MP. The public safety concerns you have should interest him/her.
David
steveuk
Grafter

Thats a great idea never thought of trying that before Smiley Will take a look into it tomoz
steveuk
Grafter

Woke up about 30 mins ago checked the router settings and noticed it had reset at some point in the night so did and speed test and things seemed a bit better but still not quite as fast as when first connected.

I will keep an eye on things over the next few days and keep logs of speed test to see if there is any type of pattern.
Forgot to ask but can you force a 48Mbps profile on my line or will it only do what it can in the sense that when i run bt tests it says current profile 41.12 or something or is it more down to how the modem syncs.
steveuk
Grafter

My profile seems to have droped again and now i can't seem to get it any higher.

FAQ
Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download Speed
31.61 Mbps

0 Mbps 32.48 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 31.61 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-32.48 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 32.48 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
6.57 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 6.57Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
What would be the best way to try and get it back to around 42/43Mbps
My estimate was 48Mbps
I have also noticed the modem or router seems to disconect early hours of the morning and would like to know if there is anyway to stop it doing this. I am not used to things resetting like this Sad my old o2 connection would stay in sync for weeks at a time and only ever reset once ina  blue moon but still synced back at full speed every time.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Unfortunately we have no control over the line on FTTC like we do on ADSL/ADSL2+ lines so can't adjust your profile or SNR in any way. If the line isn't settling on its own all we can recommend really is that you update the fault ticket and we see if we can push back any further that way.
steveuk
Grafter

I don't know if this caused the profile to drop but the other day the lights in the house seemed to turn off and back on realy fast as if there was a slight power cut, This happend a few times but the odd thing is my screen and the pc and my amp all stayed on as did the router but the BT modem seemed to restart itself as if it lost power.