Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeds capped again!

markroxxy123
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Speeds capped again!

Good Afternoon,

several months ago I noticed I was getting download speeds well below my estimated speeds and always below the guaranteed minimum speeds.

After several months of fault raising and an Openreach engineer visit, my speeds were increased by almost 50% (but still below the estimated range, but now above (just) the guaranteed speed.

The Openreach engineer confirmed that the estimated speeds provided by Plusnet were not possible on my line (no fault identified, just down to distance from the exchange/cabinet - my cabinet to next to the exchange, so no difference to be gained)

My speeds increased from around 18mbps up to 27mbps after the visit, but I am back to 18mbps and BT Wholesale speed test says maximum speed achievable is 20.63mbps on my line.

My minimum guaranteed speed is 22.8mbps, which unachievable based on the current maximum of 20.63mbps.

Are these speeds capped from time to time based on overall traffic? - If so who capped the speeds? I could enforce the minimum speed guarantee clause and exit my contract, but the Openreach engineer did say the speeds should be / would be the same no matter who the provider is.

Just wondered if 'capping' speeds is standard practice? Not sure what raising another fault will do if there is no fault on my line, but speeds are determined by either Plusnet or BT Wholesale?

2 REPLIES 2
wakeman
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Speeds capped again!

@markroxxy123  PlusNet do not cap on traffic.

Have you checked your lines details on https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL  This what BT wholesale estimate your line *might* be capable of but depends on distance.

The problem could be caused by lots more people getting FTTC on your local Openreach Cabinet and thus increasing 'cross-talk'. I have sadly been hit by this myself.

Raise the issue with PlusNet again and see if they can get you a better speed.

markroxxy123
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Speeds capped again!

Thanks for the reply - I showed the Openreach engineer the link you refer to (For my line the estimate given is up to 41mbp). He did not understand where these estimates came from. He was quite clear the line could not support/achieve those higher speeds, so it seems BT Wholesale are overly optimistic regarding estimated line speeds.

I think the decision to put the cabinet next to the exchange likely has some bearing, as if it was placed closer to the houses it serves then I imagine the higher speeds would be possible.

I imagine it is people moving over to FTTC from ADSL, as the max speeds offered by this service have been reduced by half. I used to get 18mbps on ADSL before switching to FTCC, but the max offered for ADSL now is 9mbps.