cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeds are slow

scipio1st
Grafter

Speeds are slow

Hello,my family is having some issues with the internet. Its as slow as it has ever been andthe router also has to be restarted regularly, which will cause it to go even slower. I have donea speedtest from speedtester.bt.com and these were my results:
Throughput: 1422kbps
Range: 600-7150kbps
Sync Speed:
downstream: 3136kbps
upstream: 448kbps 
IP Profile: 2500kbps

And here is the info from your utility on my postcode speed:
Postcode:
Phone exchange:
Estimated line speed:
2.0Mb (This may vary between 1Mb and 3.5Mb) - Checked on 2011-02-16 12:23:20
Current line speed:
2.5 Mb
We have two computers and an xbox. Mostly only the xbox and 1 computer is running at one time on the internet on a wireless network. As the connection breaks or slows regardless of which device is testing it I have summarized it to be a throughput speed server-side or the router itself is an issue. However this is a third party router and has been like this since we purchased it,and before that to be honest with you.
Now if the bandwidth on the network is reduced below a certain value it will drop out. Also It can drop out of the line itself is unstable. Our phone is fine so its not a PSTN issue.
Can you please give me some advise on the next course of action.
5 REPLIES 5
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Speeds are slow

HI scipio1st,
The first thing I would suggest is to run a speed test with a wired connection. When you do this, make sure you don't have anything else running in the background.
Jojo Smiley
scipio1st
Grafter

Thank you for replying to the ticket. I cannot answer all the questions at this time so I will keep it unresolved for now.
I work for Fault Manager at Orange, so I work with slow speeds on a daily basis.
I was hoping there would be a different solution to this problem. I'll have to bite the gun and take my laptop to their house and do more direct testing. It is definitely not the computers. Even my laptop has issues viewing images when I go to theirs. If you can see any solutions on your systems before I do some direct speed tests please let me know.
I understand more of the working of bandwidth and customer usage more than ever now and I have a sneaky suspicion there are too many people on the exchange now. Back when I had AOL 2mb was flawless. Then I briefly changed to virgin before going to you guys. At first it was fine, but over time the speeds and performance got worse. Countless router replacements and still the issue.
When does my area get an upgrade in equipment or ADSL+2?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'll have to bite the gun and take my laptop to their house and do more direct testing.

is this account the one I'm supposed to be testing?
When does my area get an upgrade in equipment or ADSL+2?

It is already available, but as the line is long you would be better to move onto ADSL1 rather than ADSL2+
Jojo Smiley
scipio1st
Grafter

Yes it is.
You are right. at 2mb it won't make a difference. In fact the issues Orange has had with the change over I am very much wanting a migration!
Are you able to run a line test to see how the line is and if any errors crop up?
Thanks,
Andy
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi scipio1st,
Right now the line is error free.
Jojo Smiley