DavMcCC
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Re: Speeds are in bytes/s

DavMcCC
Dabbler

I decided that I would run a broadband speed checker waste of time it never got past the point of finding a test sever.. I am turning off the computer now and will log in here tomorrow "Wednesday" to check for what can I do next.

I should say that the router is plugged in to a new Openreach mk4 socket and the computer wired to the router "no wireless stuff here"

You can see from this final image that the speeds are way toooo slow

Dave

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

It looks like you're using a fairly old modem/router. I'd generally recommend at least updating its firmware, if not replacing it with something newer.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

With all those other pages open, and the amount of CPU usage going on, speed tests are going to be slow.

Try testing again with nothing else using up your resources..

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

What do you get from this?

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes as @Browni said, shut everything down so there is just you using the browser with one tab.
Try the BT Speedtest.

If you have another device capiable of using Wi-Fi, (such as a mobile) it is worth testing the connection with that to see if the speeds are any different. That will rule out the computer being at fault and not the connection.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Fix

Hello @DavMcCC

Sorry to hear you are experiencing problems with your speed. I can see that the settings on your line were set too low for the level of interference we would expect to see. I have increased this which will stabilise the connection, and speed allowing information to be received with out interference. 

I have sent you a ticket which can be accessed here, with more details. Please monitor your connection over the next couple of days and get back to us if need any further help.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
DavMcCC
Dabbler

Oh hi ejs, yes it may be an older router but it is running on the latest or last firm wire update,  if I was to replace this router, what would you recommend ? some thing with NO wifi on it please as it don't work jammed in behind 3 computers

Thanks

Dave

DavMcCC
Dabbler

Hi there Browni

Ran the test you left me the link for, you will note that I had to change over to Chrome to test it as firefox don't running some things on this Linux computer

And look at all the files / tabs running, including the wife's wifi router, and the son he is on the xbox

OK, it may not be the fastest and yes I did leave every thing else running, (cuz I am lazy at times) but it shows how the system should work and it normally does as how you now see it.

Should also add, that I think I had about 5 or 7 tabs open in firefox, plusnet /email / facebook and a couple of others

Dave

DavMcCC
Dabbler

SammyM

I shall blame you and say you fix'ed it for me,  I am not to quote that other known person who is dead.

Dave

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Dave.

I'm glad to hear your speeds have improved.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet