Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeds are collapsing

bigal993
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Speeds are collapsing

Guyz
I would like some advice, when i was forst connected, i got 41mb download, the engineer told me to hammer the connection for the first two weeks, since ive been on plusnet, Its fallen now to 29mb down, but my usenet speeds always closley followed my speedtest i was doing, But now my speedtest reads 29mb, but my usenet speeds are down to 19 or 20 download speed.
Ive been reading adding the pro option might kick the connection up the backside, i would love my 41mb down that i got in the first few weeks, but if not at least to have stable download speeds
al
8 REPLIES 8
petecov44
Grafter

Re: Speeds are collapsing

Sounds like DLM has kicked in on your line. Wait for someone here to reply or raise via http://faults.plus.net in case there is one.
bigal993
Dabbler

thanks pete
I may have inadvertently, caused this  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed , i didnt realize, that it was very important not to reboot the router, ive done this quite a few times, as to try and get a better connection, that used to work on DSL, i didnt realise it causes problems on fibre, i read a post of chris on here, Hopefully he may be able to help me
best regards
Al
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

rebooting the router if you are using the BT modem shouldn't affect things - in theory
can you post the results of a BT speed test with Further Diagnostics if it works
bigal993
Dabbler

Hi OldJim
Ive run the test according to BT it looks fine, which it does, the problem is the IP profile they have set, when i was first done in the first three months it was set at up to 38.4mb, we had no connection issues or drop outs, but for some reason they have dropped the profile to 31mb now
Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download Speed
30.25 Mbps

0 Mbps 31.58 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 30.25 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 20 Mbps-31.58 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 31.58 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
5.62 Mbps

0 Mbps 10 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 5.62Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Nothing much wrong there except that the sync speed is lower than before
So it looks like the DLM has kicked in which is either due to too many disconnects or an increase in cross talk as more users come on line
The bad news is that the only way it can be reset is with an engineer visit
Best bet at present is to see if it corrects itself automatically
petecov44
Grafter

Just to clarify., I was lead to believe that you can reboot the techicolour router until the cows come home. It's the BTO modem that will affect DLM etc. is that correct?
I never touched the BTO modem when I was having my problems so that's why I wondered. and also for the clarification of the OP
xreyuk
Grafter

That's correct about the router. It's the modem that manages the sync and that's what DLM reads. DLM will reduce your line if it shows packet loss or errors. Mine was up at around 50Mbps for the first couple of days, but my line started showing packet loss, and even though there were no disconnections, the packet loss was enough to force DLM to reduce the line speed. Even then, I was at around 45Mbps, no packet loss, but DLM felt it needed to reduce my speeds further, I'm assuming because it still saw errors.
dick:quote
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi bigal993,
Quote from: bigal993
i read a post of chris on here, Hopefully he may be able to help me
Al

I'm not sure if you were referring to me and this guide that I wrote: http://community.plus.net/library/browsing/fttc-dlm-what-it-is-how-it-works/?
With regards to your current connection, it looks to me as though your connection rate (sync) between your FTTc Cabinet and Modem as decreased ever so slightly and DLM has had to make changes to your line to ensure that the quality of your connection doesn't suffer due to errors on your line.
I've attached your current line stats which look pretty clean and about where I'd expect it to look like, especially in comparison to your speed estimates for your area (27Mb down / 6Mb up).