Did you mean: 

Speed

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Re: Speed

Hi @pkw,

That's understandable, however a speed test over Wi-Fi is testing the Wi-Fi signal only, which is susceptible to deterioration for all manners of interference and is never an accurate indicator of the speed you are getting to your router. Is there any way a separate device can be used to connect to the router?

If not then it is a case of going through your Wi-Fi channels to get the best one for your router, or perhaps splitting the frequency for devices closer to the router (5 GHz) as well as the standard 2.4 GHz for long range.

I've included a link here for how you can get the best out of your router, links are available in the bottom section as well as a lot of information to be found on this forum.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thanks - LF

pkw
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Ok, so I've been waiting for it to slow down again to unusable speeds to perform a test over the Ethernet. Here are the results of 2 consecutive tests over wired connection just after 3pm today:

screencapture-speedtest-btwholesale-2019-07-24-15_09_07.jpgscreencapture-speedtest-btwholesale-2019-07-24-15_12_04.jpg

Meanwhile I also had a response from the fault team who said again according to their tests my line speed is ok. Well, it is probably ok - 90% of the time.

The next step is supposed to be engineer visit but what worries me is the clause "If the fault is found to be caused by your equipment, internal wiring or as a result of damage to BT equipment a charge of £65 will apply.". Does that mean if they find a problem with the wires somewhere or a bt box which is totally beyond my control I will be charged £65.

P.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for your post @pkw

It means that if there's an issue with the wiring within your home, or if you'd damaged the socket, for instance.

We ask for you to complete all of the checks that we do so that we're able to minimise as much as possible the risk of a charge.

pkw
Aspiring Pro

So now it looks like I can't connect at all. The broadband light just keeps flashing. Tried test socket also. This is very mysterious. I think the bt cable goes out of my flat through the wall and outside there is a whole bunch of other cables. I wonder if it was damaged by some work done by the landlord? These problems started only recently. If it was the case, I guess I am liable for the £65 charge? I'm seriously thinking of waiting till the end of my contract (3 months) and perhaps going for mobile broadband afterwards.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @pkw, thanks for getting back to me.

If the issue has been caused by works which have damaged the line, it's likely there would be a charge - although if this is the case I'd (personally) strongly recommend speaking with the landlord first to ensure he'd cover such a charge if it is applied.

pkw
Aspiring Pro

Thanks @OskarPapa .

Just to be sure, would you be able to double check again from your side if there is a problem. My broadband is down as we speak. I'm using my mobile as a backup.

P.

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @pkw,

When testing your line from this side we are getting back the following result result:

"Fail - Fault located at customer apparatus (appointment required)
Description: LOOP CONDITION DETECTED (UNPLUG ALL END USER EQUIP and RE-TEST)"

This could be caused by a few things both of which could be internal or external. So we can begin in ruling a few things out that could be causing this the first thing we'd advise is to remove all your devices from any master/extension sockets you have and also remove the face plate of the master socket (This will rule out any faulty internal wiring/extension sockets as the cause)
How to locate and remove the face plate can be found here

If you could please drop us a message when the face plate and all devices are removed we can re-test from this side to see if the fault still appears. If so then we can be certain it's external and look to get a engineer out as soon as possible for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
pkw
Aspiring Pro

Thanks @Beyhive .

Face plate now removed and all devices disconnected, please re-test.

When checking earlier, I had no phone signal on the line and then it changed to strange signal. Inspected the wiring outside, it's pretty old and some cables are exposed, but no obvious damage by third party.

Many thanks for assisting me with this.

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You're more than welcome @pkw,

I've retested the line and it's no longer detecting the fault which means that something that was plugged in is causing the fault, either the faceplate, internal wiring, a plugged in device is causing the fault I am afraid. Could you please plug the router into the test socket with a microfilter and let me know once it's done so I can test it without the faceplate?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
pkw
Aspiring Pro

Ok, now the router only connected without the faceplate.

I connected phone briefly too and had signal, then checked again - quiet.

P.

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I have tested your line again and it is testing as out of sync. We cannot detect a connection to the router.

The next step is to progress with an engineer visit however as mentioned before, a charge might be applicable if the engineer deems the fault is caused by damage done to BT equipment/cables. There could still be a fault on the line which of course will be a free visit.

I have gone ahead and updated the fault ticket. Please click here to view my response.

Please let us know once you've replied back to the above ticket.

Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
pkw
Aspiring Pro

With a bit of trial and error, I think I have found the culprit! It would seem that the microfilter you sent with the new router was faulty. Connecting via the old one I had went without problems.

The question now is, were the previous issues with speed something related or entirely different, since they were occurring before. I will monitor the situation and update the ticket or on here if still having issues.

P.

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I am glad to hear you've been able to identify the issue.

Please monitor the connection and let us know how it goes.

Faris
 Plusnet Help Team