Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed varying wildly on 80/20 FTTC

Toenex
Grafter

Speed varying wildly on 80/20 FTTC

Hi,
I've been on the 80/20 product now for a month or so and I've consistently had speeds around the 70/15 region.  However, for the past few days my speeds have been varying wildly.  I'm also noticing periods where webpages time-out, as though I have no connection, which last a few minutes at a time. 
To make things more confusing I'm getting inconsistent readings between the various speed testing products.  For instance just now I ran the BT Speed Tester which gave a measures of 19.18 DL and 4.7 UL.  Immediately after this I ran the BT Speed Tester Lite (Beta) from the same page and it gave me 63.74 DL and 15.04 UL.  Yet if I run My Broadband Speed test just 10 seconds later I get 24/16 (see attached images).  From what I can tell my profiles are fine  - 67.02/20.00. .  This jumping around doesn't seem to depend on the time of day, I was working at home yesterday and it was happening all day and the evening too.  This has totally crippled skype calls (which are pretty important as I'm working with a team in the US) which might suggests something more like packet drops although I'm not seeing anything on a ping - typically 19ms with 0% loss.
I was going to raise a ticket but given the nature of the issue I thought I would try here first to see if anyone can suggest things I can try to resolve it or at least characterise the problem better.
Cheers,
-toenex
12 REPLIES 12
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Speed varying wildly on 80/20 FTTC

mybroadbandspeed is a bit broken at the moment, try using speedtest.net and see what that gives you.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Toenex
Grafter

speedtest.net gave 0.2/16 ! Something aint right.  Angry
dvorak

probably need to raise a fault at faults.plus.net
Customer / Moderator
Toenex
Grafter

It does appear to be getting worse.  I've just rebooted the router (there is a current service issue which suggests this might be necessary) and it has taken nearly 15 minutes for it to reconnect.  No improvement to speeds.
I'm going to raise a fault as you suggested.
dvorak

yup, something does seem amiss.
Customer / Moderator
WWWombat
Grafter

Is the modem running hot? That kind of behaviour rings a bell from a year ago, when older versions of the modem would overheat and have problems holding sync.
They ought to have all been replaced by now, but you never know...
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Toenex
Grafter

Not physically hot, no.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

If it does turn out to be an issue with the modem our suppliers should deal with that as a matter of course on an engineer visit.
I'd not like to speculate on the cause of this though so it's over to our faults team, do let me know if you experience any difficulties whilst this is investigated.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Toenex
Grafter

Just wondered if this has might have anything to do with the regional support issues described here?
https://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2&support_action=messages&ispservice_id=adsldial
I'm in South Manchester which is explicitly named on the list.  Are PN encountering more widespread problems at the moment? 
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I experienced problems between 7PM and 8PM connecting through Preston, so could be related. The TBB ping monitor shows dropped packets. I gave up then, OK when I came back about 10:30PM.
David
Toenex
Grafter

A quick update.  PN fault team looked into this and found no problems on the line.  I tried some speed test using my work laptop and got good, stable results using both cat5 and wifi.  Rebooted the main computer and behold good clean stable results.  I've concluded that there was a problem on the line (possible this gateway issue @ Stepney Green) which caused the original speed problems but whilst I tried rebooting the router and the FTTC modem it took a reboot of the computer itself to fully clear the problem.  I guess there is a lesson there somewhere.
Many thanks PN (Milan Bakos).
dvorak

Glad it seems sorted for you Smiley
Customer / Moderator