cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed using Skype

donkeyhoty

Speed using Skype

Not sure if this is the right forum for this but here goes......    I have started using Skype with video PC to PC to my son in New Zealand.  Unfortunately on connection he can see and hear me with out problem but at this end it takes upward of 5 minutes for any video to show and the same for sound.  Prior to that there is fractured but incomprehensible sound and no picture at all.  When sound and video do start up the sound is not brilliant and frequently breaks up and the picture refresh rate is very slow.  My speed as checked on the BT speed tester is about 4776 k.
I am on the basic package with speeds up to 8.  Would it help to go up to the premium package (up to 20)?  or is this not a speed problem.  Am aware that bandwidth is scarce at 7pm when i need to make contact so is this the problem and will speed upgrade help?  Am non technical so have run out of ideas.  Any advice greatly appreciated
2 REPLIES 2
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: Speed using Skype

I regularly Skype to my son in New Zealand, and sometimes it can be a bit jittery and generally low quality, but is always usable, and I haven't encountered the conditions you're describing. As for speed, remember it's a two way thing, so it's the upload speed which is the limiting factor.
Having said that, Skype doesn't require a lot of bandwidth, and monitoring with NetLimiter Monitor 2, I don't think I've seen it go much above 250kb/s.
There are a couple of things which seem to have had a positive effect on performance. First is to check Tools > Options > Advanced > Connection and untick the 'Use port 80 and 443 as alternatives for incoming connections' box. Note the port number quoted in the box above, and if your router allows it, create a port forwarding rule for Skype. I've done this for TCP and UDP, though I suspect only UDP is actually necessary.
Also limit the number of running programs on the PC, especially if it's a single and/or slow processor.
Oh, and welcome to the forums!  Smiley  Hope your Skyping improves.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
donkeyhoty

Re: Speed using Skype

A belated thanks for that advice - I'll give it a go as soon as I have a spare moment.