cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed tests

atbs1
Grafter

Speed tests

I get a partial screen in the plusnet My Broadband screen and after this morning have lost the begin button.  Moreover, whist this test this morning showd an initial 202 download and 23 upload, speed increased after a 15 minutes shutdown - to 5632 down and 381 up, very nice .
However I suspect that the speed is dropping again, but can't test to find out; unfortunatlely I am unable to assess the bt speed test.  I'd appreciate any input please.
7 REPLIES 7
artificer
Grafter

Re: Speed tests

i don't use the cruddy bt tester.  i use these and they both return similar results:
http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest
much easier to use.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

A) the speedtester.bt.com is a bit of a pig at time, but it is the only one that BT and Plusnet will talk to each other
B)the Original comment was about the mybroadband test which is a PN test, and he seems to be having trouble with that, I have just run it and it is OK for me
atbs1
Grafter

Hi artificer - and Others,
Thanks for your replies, most helpful.
Fifer
Grafter

Hi
Don't know if this will help, have you tried another web browser.
I can't get the BT speedtester to work in Firefox, always get a Java error and it
stops at 96%.  When I use IE it seems to work ok.  I know lots of people get it to work 
with Firefox but it might be worth trying another browser.
Fifer
artificer
Grafter

it could be configured to only run properly with ie, which is useless to linux users, unless they're willing to jump through hoops to install ie in wine.
i get the same time out in firefox.  i'll see what happens in opera and konqueror.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Works fine in Firefox for me.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I am using Firefox on XP, worked OK just now
The performance tester has been successfully tested with the following browsers; Firefox, Opera, Netscape, Microsoft Internet Explorer and Safari. It is important that you have the most up to date versions. However please note that if you are operating a Virtual Private Networking (VPN) you will not be able to use the Performance Tester for throughput testing due to the Address Proxy function, which is almost always present in a corporate intranet environment.

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  7648 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5791 kbps