cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed test through the roof - but why?

ayeff

Speed test through the roof - but why?

I had dropped and very slow connections yesterday so used the Plusnet speed test.  The results were incredible Shocked
I am on 8Mb service (usually about 7.5 actual), and my down speed was 510 kbps. Sad
I assumed it must be just high traffic so checked again this morning - several times.
Download speeds of 7 tests over a period of 40 minutes ranged from 6286 kbps to 28303 kbps... that is not a typo - there were two tests that were above 20000 kbps!!
Checked the BT exchange info and it says it is a 8MB service and no planned date yet for 20MB service upgrade Huh
So can someone explain please... should I be concerned or chuffed or what?... is there a fault somewhere... could it be that BT are tinkering with the exchange capacity without telling us, or what?
3 REPLIES
Fixes: 50

Re: Speed test through the roof - but why?

You don't have Kaspersky AV do you as that is known to play havoc with speed tests?

Customer and Forum Moderator.

ayeff

To Strat:
Yes, I do have KIS, but I just turned it off and retested - nearly 30000 kbps!!
Additional info:
Just used Plusnet 40MB fibre availability checker - it reports that 40MB is not available to me (which I knew) but says my exchange supports upto 20MB contrary to BT checker that says only 8MB is available from my exchange!!
Also checked my ancient router - Binatone ADSL 2100 - and as far as I can discover it only supports 8MB!!
I am confused  Huh
Luzern
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

MAAMOI what does your router say? The tester is playing other silly b***** games too.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.