cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed test through the roof - but why?

ayeff

Speed test through the roof - but why?

I had dropped and very slow connections yesterday so used the Plusnet speed test.  The results were incredible Shocked
I am on 8Mb service (usually about 7.5 actual), and my down speed was 510 kbps. Sad
I assumed it must be just high traffic so checked again this morning - several times.
Download speeds of 7 tests over a period of 40 minutes ranged from 6286 kbps to 28303 kbps... that is not a typo - there were two tests that were above 20000 kbps!!
Checked the BT exchange info and it says it is a 8MB service and no planned date yet for 20MB service upgrade Huh
So can someone explain please... should I be concerned or chuffed or what?... is there a fault somewhere... could it be that BT are tinkering with the exchange capacity without telling us, or what?
3 REPLIES
Highlighted
Fixes: 75

Re: Speed test through the roof - but why?

You don't have Kaspersky AV do you as that is known to play havoc with speed tests?

Customer and Forum Moderator.

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
ayeff

To Strat:
Yes, I do have KIS, but I just turned it off and retested - nearly 30000 kbps!!
Additional info:
Just used Plusnet 40MB fibre availability checker - it reports that 40MB is not available to me (which I knew) but says my exchange supports upto 20MB contrary to BT checker that says only 8MB is available from my exchange!!
Also checked my ancient router - Binatone ADSL 2100 - and as far as I can discover it only supports 8MB!!
I am confused  Huh
Luzern
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

MAAMOI what does your router say? The tester is playing other silly b***** games too.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.