Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed test differences.

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Speed test differences.

So, almost 10 days in 1. I thought I would post this to point out the differences in various speedtests since the installation of FTTC on Wednesday of last week.
Like most new FTTC users I'm anxious to be reassured that my connection is performing at its best, and so I've been doing very little other than testing the speed at various sites.
Firstly, speedtest.net

Looks fine to me!
Then TBB - the TBB download looks fine, but the HTTP x6???

Lastly, BTwholesale test attached. I haven't been able to get this one out of the red for some days (TAP3 failed last time I tried it).
Thoughts?
1 I know that this has no actual significance...
9 REPLIES 9
LenAsh
Grafter

Re: Speed test differences.

Mine's the other way round...!

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

That's odd - all my TBB tests have been that way round since the upgrade.
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Not bad, your getting in Mbps the same that I am currently getting in Kbps on ADSL 2+
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

Believe me, I'm not disappointed with the performance, it's just the discrepancies in the speed test results which are, to say the least, puzzling.
I'm getting a different modem from a well-known auction site in a couple of days, which I plan to unlock so I can check the line stats. Cool
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

What benefits do you get form fibre?
At the moment im not sold entirely on the speed aspect of it, as regular ADSL seems to cope ( usualy ) with streaming to a Tv and web browsing etc etc.  £27 per month for fibre ( with line rental/call package on top of that )  just isnt worth it at the moment in my opinion
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

Firstly, I'm not paying that much.
I just want a connection that allows me to access the intarwebs all day, every day, without noticeable delay. Some members of the household can stream while others download, with no lag. No gamers in the house, so ping isn't crucial.
I found the speed of my ADSL service was gradually slowing down, not to a point where it was completely useless, but the writing was on the wall. As I say, I'm happy enough with the service.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi Jaggies,
I've checked your line and the speeds look to be connected fine, however it did mention "Voice fault suspected". It might be worth checking with your phone provider to ensure there isn't a fault somewhere on the line.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for that Chris, I'll check it out.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

Voice line checks out OK - did Quiet Line Test (17070 opt 2) and clear as a bell. Also tested via http://www.bt.com/ - no fault found.