Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed sooooooooo slow

brooks1
Dabbler

Speed sooooooooo slow

Having speed issues, very bad, done a bt line check, results are
Download speed achieved during the test was - 108 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :3104 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps
Having had no problems with plusnet for a long time it is frustrating. Using a d-link modem/router. Any advice gratefully received.
15 REPLIES 15
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Speed sooooooooo slow

Hi brooks1,
your sync speed is much better than your profile suggests. I can see from your connection logs that your line has been dropping alarmingly of late. This is the reason your profile has been lowered in this way. If you can consistently sync at a higher rate then your profile will increase after 72 hours of continuous connection.
I wonder what the reason is for your drops in connection.
Have you tried plugging your filter directly into the test socket?  http://www.plus.net/images/support/broadband/master_2b.png
have you tried 2 different filters?
Are you able to try a different router?
I notice you started to raise a fault and if you have tried 2 different filters in the test socket then I would advise you to continue with the broadband fault checker so we can get this actioned for you.
Jojo Smiley
brooks1
Dabbler

Just done another speedcheck these results are
Download speed achieved during the test was - 86 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5312 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps
This is master socket with different filter. Sad Things getting worse. Hope to try old usb modem now.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Actually that is much better - your sync speed has jumped from 3104 to 5312
Can you post the full stats from your router - speeds, noise margin and attenuation when in the master socket
Unfortunately it will take a couple of days for the IP profile and hence your speeds to increase
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi brooks1,
As oldjim said, your sync speed has increased greatly in the test socket. If you can leave your router connected in that socket now to see if the connection remains stable rather than trying to connect anything else. As long as the profile is set you will not get download speeds any faster regardless of your sync speed. If you remain connected for the next 72 hours then with the current sync speed you have you should expect a speed of 4500
Jojo Smiley
brooks1
Dabbler

Quote from: Oldjim
Actually that is much better - your sync speed has jumped from 3104 to 5312
Can you post the full stats from your router - speeds, noise margin and attenuation when in the master socket
Unfortunately it will take a couple of days for the IP profile and hence your speeds to increase

Sorry i am not a techie, so don't know how to do this.  Embarrassed If you can tell me then i will do it
Have I got to put the router directly into the master socket and leave it on for 72 hours? It is currently the other side of the house and bit of a mammoth task , but if that has to be done then will sort that out.  Wish i knew what it all meant.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

You posted two speeds 3104 kbps from your normal socket and 5312 kbps from the master socket - this is why we recomend usuing the master socket.
However if you want to retain those speeds you will need to leave it in the master socket permanently.
Before doing that you could try it in the normal socket with the new filter and see what the speed is.
To get the stats from the router you should select your router from this page http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
If however you have a Plusnet supplied Thomson then click on http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?ce=1&be=0&l0=1&l1=0 and that will give them
brooks1
Dabbler

Have had  the modem in the master switch for nearly 96 hours, just done another test and results are
Download speed achieved during the test was - 205 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-500 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :704 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 500 Kbps
Speed is much better but will the same happen when i go back to the socket in the kitchen, it is just not possible to use the master all the time.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Speed has gone bad again - 704kbps - is it possible to try the test socket which will isolate all the internal wiring
brooks1
Dabbler

Sorry, i posted wrong, it has been in there since monday evening, the first was done in the extension socket the other 2 in the test socket, i presumed that was what was needed in the first place, have i got to do it again now? I thought it was quicker this evening. A BT engineer was outside our house today so spoke to him and he said we will be licky to achieve anything like what is predicted as we are very rural and about 3 miles from exchange but he said that he didn't really know3 much more other than to get the house rewired to make the extension the master which is quite easy to do????( costs though i would think)
Oldjim
Resting Legend

If that last result was from the test socket then there is a problem.
Before opening a fault report can you post the stats from the router - noise margin, attenuation and speeds
If you look for your router type here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php it will tell you how to get them. If you have a Thompson click on this link http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?ce=1&be=0&l0=1&l1=0
brooks1
Dabbler

DSL status shows the ADSL physical layer status.

ADSL Firmware Version: 7.00.01.00 - 7.00.01.00 - 7.00.04.-4 Annex A - 01.07.2c - 0.54
ADSL Software Version: V3.02B01T02.UK-A.20061128
Line State Connected
Modulation ADSL_G.dmt
Annex Mode Annex A
Max Tx Power -38 dBm/Hz

Downstream
                                        Upstream

Unit
SNR Margin        15            22                              dB
Line Attenuation  40          24                              dB
Data Rate          2432        448                        kbps

This is off the stats , no noise margin mentioned though that i can see, it is a d-link G624T modem/router. Do i need to report a fault to plusnet? 
brooks1
Dabbler

Just done another test, back at extension socket results are
Download speed achieved during the test was - 411 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-500 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :2432 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 500 Kbps
???????????????? Gosh i am confused.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

There is something badly adrift.
Obviously there must have been a resync somewhere between out two posts for the speed to increase from 704kbps to 2432 kbps
There is no need to post the stats on the ticket
The reason for me asking was to find out what your line should be capable of.
These are the relevant figures
SNR Margin        15  dB - SNR is signal to noise ratio or noise margin
Line Attenuation  40 dB - an indication of your line length
Data Rate          2432 kbps
With that attenuation and a 15dB noise margin you should be getting much better speeds (about 5,500 - 6,000 kbps). This clearly indicates a fault.
When you follow the fault checker select the intermittent connection fault not a speed fault as you have a much better chance of getting it fixed
Re your last post - forget speed tests - you are being limited by the IP profile which won't improve while you keep having these low speed connections.
brooks1
Dabbler

I have reported the fault with the broadband and plusnet have asked  engineers to turn on interleaving on my line which they say should help? I hope so.