cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed slower

KaotiK
Grafter

Speed slower

posted in another thread about my speed being around 4mb, instead of the usual 6mb +.
so thought id make my own thread to sort it.  i dont have a test socket, and my router is plugged straight into the phone thing right next to it, no wireless.
i havent restarted my router in a while so would a simple restart fix the problem or?
42 REPLIES 42
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Speed slower

First thing is to provide the information requested here (obviously ignore the bit about the test socket) http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
SpencerUk
Grafter

As a quick look, your line is connecting at a low rate to your exchange and that's you are getting a low throughput speed.
I would suggesting rebooting your router and then posting up your line stats :).
KaotiK
Grafter

k restarted router this morning.
router stats:
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 36543 66034 0 2245 70571 00:21:29
LAN 10M/100M 68400 39533 0 66673 3134 00:23:05
WLAN 11M/54M 823 0 0 153 0 00:22:55
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 5024 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 18 db 3.5 db
Noise Margin 14 db 22 db
Estimated line speed:
    Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).
Current line speed:
    5 Mb
Bt speedtester test:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 3.57 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5.02 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 4 Mbps
Now i live basically next door to my exchange, and like i said for the first few months of living in this house i was getting 6.5mb speed, really low pings in gaming 10-25... now i get 4mb, 40-50 ping.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Two reasons with the same cause.
for some reason your line became unstable or was seen to be unstable by the equipment in the exchange due to too many resynchs in a short time. Possibly also an extremely high error rate.
The automatic system has applied interleaving to try to solve the perceived problem and has also increased the default noise margin to 15dB from 6dB
Interleaving has increased the pings and the high default noise margin has dropped the speed.
Can you shed any light on what may have caused the problem
KaotiK
Grafter

no idea atall... i cant remember my losing connection ... ive had good uptime for ages, i can only remember once a while back where i got disconnected :S I also apart from today cant remember the last time i rebooted me router.
So unless it happened when i wasnt at home, i have no idea!
How do i go about solving these problems now? getting interleaving turned off again and my speeds back!
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Wait until the staff are back on the forum on Wednesday and they can do two things
Check the line stability records and if there are no obvious problems do a line retrain
SpencerUk
Grafter

@KaotiK
The line is certainly not performing as it should be. Assuming you have tried an alternate filter and are not using any extension cabling to connect up the router from your master socket, I'd suggest raising a fault to us at https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults
@Oldjim
With the line attenuation being so short and on an up to 8Mbps circuit, the SNR will be high so that's nothing to be concerned with Smiley

Oldjim
Resting Legend

It is when the sync speed is only 5024kbps
ADSL Link    Downstream    Upstream
Connection Speed    5024 kbps    448 kbps
Line Attenuation    18 db    3.5 db
Noise Margin    14 db    22 db
SpencerUk
Grafter

@Oldjim
You will find on most short lines the target SNR is set at 15dB...Well for up to 8Mbps circuits anyway. If I SNR Reset it for example, the target would stay at 15dB due to the attenuation of this circuit. Looking at the history of the line, analysis data shows there could be some interference preventing a higher access speed rate. Assuming all the internal checks have been done (as listed previously), we could look into getting an engineer out there to take a look Smiley

KaotiK
Grafter

currently trying to raise a fault, however the page isnt loading after trying to submit my contact info.
I tryed the test socket thing there also but no joy, still 4mb
Ok fault has been raised, hope someone can help, its frustrating knowing my line can do better.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi KaotiK,
I'll give Spencer a nudge and see if he can take a look later
Jojo Smiley
KaotiK
Grafter

thanks Smiley
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Did a copper line test show any problems?
I presume you've tried all the usual checks with another modem/router, filter in the test socket? Was the downstream sync speed any better in the test socket?
Do you have any fixed extension sockets and wiring and are you using any extension leads between the socket and filter or filter to modem/router?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Anotherone,
Don't worry, Spencer has this in hand.
Quote from: KaotiK
i dont have a test socket, and my router is plugged straight into the phone thing right next to it, no wireless.

Jojo Smiley