cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed slowed considerably and drops off completely every night about 1 -2 AM

natalyajane

Speed slowed considerably and drops off completely every night about 1 -2 AM

Hi, We run a small but busy healthcare business. So patients ring during the night.

This means I am in the office every night usually from midnight to 6am.

We have been with PlusNet about 6 years, 5 years at another address then one year ago this week at this new address.

We have never had a problem. In fact it has been great except for when the line went down about 8 months ago. We are not big users just use the computer for business and stream you tube a bit at night with maybe one film a week..

One month ago my speed suddenly dropped. Then every night started to disappear completely  from1am -4am but particularly between 1am -2am. This is driving my husband mad as he likes to watch you tube and work !!!!

Our speed fibre optic is Download 23.76 and upload 6.90 ping 28. That test is when the service is at its maximum working well at 2pm in the afternoon. It was much higher 6 months ago.

I rang today but found the  service rep not very helpful. I am getting anxious as I worry every night now it just disappears.

The phone line is fine. Help Huh Thank you

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): All caps title/text edited as per Forum rules.
7 REPLIES 7
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: Speed slowed considerably and drops off completely every night about 1 -2 AM

Hi @natalyajane and welcome to the Community Forums!

I'm sorry to hear you're having speed issues and are seeing drops in the early hours of the morning.
Upon testing your connection we can see the drops that are occuring however when testing your connection there's no signs as to what's behind the drops or poor early hour performance.

As our testing isn't identyfing anything this side as to what's behind the early morning drops and speed issues we'd advise running through a few troubleshoot steps your side.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

(Given the frequency of drops it may take 24-48 hours of monitoring in thsi set-up to see if the issue persists.)

In regards to using your conenction for business purposes I have raised a ticekt on your account which can be seen here.

Let us know how it goes.

natalyajane

Re: Speed slowed considerably and drops off completely every night about 1 -2 AM

Slightly shocked by the email I just received from you telling me I now have to change to a business package.

You state we use this service solely for business, we do not.

We primarily are on 3 mobiles all of which are advertised on our website (can be supplied) and on our leaflets and promotion's. (can be supplied)

We are a minute business of 2 people, myself and my husband. Myself disabled.

If you check our usage you will see virtually no calls on my landline of any description, in fact it is almost never used. The reason i need the internet is to track down street and house addresses.

My landline number is not advertised anywhere on the  planet, and if you check my broadband usage you will see we are a very small user.

I sit by  3 mobiles during the night and do not use your service to actually run a business but to look patients houses on google maps.

You say I now have to have a business package.

If this is the case I will terminate my  service with yourselves and go elsewhere. I feel bullied. Very bullied.

Having a Yorkshire dad, I had hoped for a good friendly Yorkshire service. Not the case.

I just tried to ring you as you requested in your email, but the wait time is 60 minutes. pretty unacceptable really.

I am not happy.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @natayajane, thanks for getting back to us.

I'm sincerely sorry that my heads up message on the account may have been taken the wrong way. Please rest assured this message was purely on the back of your description of use for your broadband and was solely meant as a heads up:

Hi, We run a small but busy healthcare business. So patients ring during the night.

This means I am in the office every night usually from midnight to 6am.

And also...

We are not big users just use the computer for business and stream you tube a bit at night with maybe one film a week..

By all means if you don't use your connection for heavy buinesses purposes then not to worry and I'd advise running through the troubleshoot steps advised in order to begin ruling a few things out that could be behind the speed issues and drops overnight.

natalyajane

Thank you for your reply.

If only I knew what ''heads up'' meant.

All my years at university when I could walk and breathe must be have been wasted as I have absolutely no idea in what context that is used. Maybe you are tossing a coin ? I will google it (oh dear is that business usage)

https://www.bing.com/search?q=heads+up+meaning&form=EDNTHT&mkt=en-gb&httpsmsn=1&refig=563b095fbc2d43...

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/heads-up

Ok, so a warning something is going to happen.

Origin ''the heads-up came just in time to stop the tanks from launching the final assault" Cambridge English.

Now I feel even more anxious. Threatened even, psychologically not physically of course. Financially.

So can you clarify if you are going to pursue me to change to a business account, or that has been quashed ?

If I did sleep at night I would be kept awake with this, fortuitously I am up at night unable to breathe so use my time purposefully.

If using google maps to locate patients throughout the night is running a business then that would be ridiculous. My grandchildren use their broadband 1,000 fold more than I, to be browbeaten like that is very upsetting.

So, you state.............''By all means if you don't use your connection for heavy buinesses purposes then not to worry........

Please let me know exactly what will happen and exactly how much I should worry.

Big brother is alive and well and working at PlusNet. Shame. Its not Pontefract Cakes is it.

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @natalyajane,

I am sorry my colleagues previous response made you feel this way, more than anything he was just advising you that if you do use your services for a business rather than residential it may be worth discussing a business service with us. By all means, Plusnet are not going to be chasing you for anything - our forums are more for assistance and support.

Please give us a nudge on here if the troubleshooting @BD supplied has worked or if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

natalyajane

I just wanted a little help.

I have checked as you suggest and every night my speeds slow or drop off.

Again in the last 3 nights.

It went completely 3 nights ago at 3am and would not come back on.

I feel I dont like to ask now.

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi @natalyajane, you can always ask for support when you need it here and we'll be happy to assist in any way we can.

I have checked your connection again today and I can see it is still dropping around the early hours as before:

Have you tried the troubleshooting steps @BD mentioned previously?