cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed restrictions - Extra vs Extra Fibre

nstone
Dabbler

Speed restrictions - Extra vs Extra Fibre

I am currently on Extra and considering upgrading to Fibre Extra.  Looking at the product comparison page I am currently limited to 2.5MB between 8 and 10pm and otherwise there are no limits for surfing, email.Youtube and streaming.  My current line speed is around 13MB.  On Fibre Extra Youtube and streaming (I assume this includes iPlayer) would be limited to 10MB for the majority of the day (7am to 1am).
So in switching to Fibre I will have a slower (13MB>>10MB) connection for Youtube and streaming? Is 10MB deemed a perfectly sufficient speed for these activities, which is why they are set at this speed?
It seems odd that for many users upgrading to fibre will reduce the speed for activities that need a decent speed, or am I missing something?
2 REPLIES 2
x47c
Grafter

Re: Speed restrictions - Extra vs Extra Fibre

Nope, you are not missing anything in your calculations - for those reasonably close to the exchange on ADSL2+ on a decent line rate.
However these lucky properties/people are rather fewer than you imagine I'd guess.
I would be in the same boat as you - had fibre been available to me which it is not.
You need the 'PRO' add on to the fibre product to eliminate the limits you mention - extra £5 methinks ontop of the fibre costs.

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Speed restrictions - Extra vs Extra Fibre

10Mb is probably more than enough for streaming several HD video streams simultaneously (iPlayer Diagnostics says 3500 kbps is enough for TV-HD, I'd expect that to be the maximum it would need), so even without the Pro add-on you'd likely be able to watch 3 HD streams at the same time without the traffic management causing any issues.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.