cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed restriction not being lifted - please help

AJTWWE
Grafter

Re: Speed restriction not being lifted - please help

The speed test has completed on test server speedtester1.nat.bt.com for user *********** and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of
103 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.
Your IP address is 87.114.163.233, your browser is reported as being Mozilla 5.0 and is running on Windows XP.
BT would regard the speed ranges shown below as normal service:
  For 250kbps End Users speeds between 50 - 250kbps.
  For 500kbps End Users speeds between 100 - 500kbps.
  For 1000kbps End Users speeds between 200 - 1000kbps.
  For 2000kbps End Users speeds between 400 - 2000kbps.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Just to provide a further update to my post here.
All traffic management rules have been corrected now, so it's only the issue with usage resets that we need to get resolved now.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

AJTWWE
Grafter

Can you help me then cause my account doesn't get reset until the 19th of this month and i am still suffering slow speeds.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Just sent you a PM.
Have you checked your usage at the Member Centre?
James
Grafter

Hi AJTWWE,
Because you have exceeded 50GB of data usage for the last three months, your speeds are restricted 24/7.  You should receive an email regarding this shortly (they were delayed from being sent due to it being a manual process).
If you change to BBYW Option 2, you'll get 15GB peak usage, with no limitations being applied on off peak usage.  I do appreciate that the peak hours are different.
paulby
Grafter

@Be3G
As I said in my earlier post I wasn't 100% certain the BT test worked the way I thought it did; I knew it certainly used to before BT changed the way one accessed it

Can you no longer bypass PN's network by changing the user name in your router to speedtest@startup_domain and navigating to http://speedtester.bt.com ?
I can't try it at the moment (not at home) but it certainly used to be the case that if you accessed the speedtester when logged into PN you obviously got a result taking the PN network into account but, if you changed your login, only the BT side of things was measured, thus possibly ruling out the ISP as the problem?
Linky
AJTWWE
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
Hi AJTWWE,
Because you have exceeded 50GB of data usage for the last three months, your speeds are restricted 24/7.  You should receive an email regarding this shortly (they were delayed from being sent due to it being a manual process).
If you change to BBYW Option 2, you'll get 15GB peak usage, with no limitations being applied on off peak usage.  I do appreciate that the peak hours are different.

Thing is i always download a lot and have never experienced these problems before. And i haven't got an e-mail either about it. I want my off peak speed back to full speed as i am entitled to it
James
Grafter

Hi,
As I mentioned, you should receive an email regarding this recently.
Broadband Plus was designed to offer 4GB peak and upto 50GB off peak.  If you exceed those levels, your speeds are restricted because of the budgetting of the accounts.
James
Grafter

Paul,
I'm fairly certain that hasn't been the case since the new speedtester was built.
It certainly worked on the old one, but not since afaik.
AJTWWE
Grafter

Thing is if i upgraded to Option 2 broadband then my off peak usage would only be overnight between 12 midnight and 8am and then my peak is from 8am to midnight, that is not a fair deal whatsoever. And if you don't put my speed back to normal then i will be forced to leave cause this is a joke
paulby
Grafter

@AJTWWE
But it's what you signed up to.  See this page under "Product Usage"
How much can I use?
Broadband Plus is designed for a maximum usage of 4GB peak times (4pm-Midnight) and 50GB offpeak (midnight-4pm) in any given month.
If your usage goes over 4GB per month during peak or 50GB off peak, your service will be heavily restricted until the start of your next billing month when your usage is reset. If you are downloading large files you should do this outside of the busy periods.

AJTWWE
Grafter

I have downloaded more than 50gb many months of not all and like i said before in a previous post if i upgrade 2 bbyw option 2 then i can only download big files during the night meaning i gotta leave my comp on all night and pay for the electricity bill. Plusnet has become a joke
AJTWWE
Grafter

Quote from: Mav
Decided to ring CS.
Not at all happy at being told first off that it's because I've gone over 100GB this month. When I pointed out that less than 28GB has been downloaded peak time and off-peak is not metered the story changed to possible line issues.
I stated that I have had a trouble-free line for around 16 months and the situation is similar to one I had 16 months ago when restrictions were added as both my peak & off-peak were added together.
It took several days to resolve but the issue was as PN's end.
I'm currently getting around 500kbps DL & 70-128Kbps UL. I'm syncing at 7040Kbps and my Profile with PN is 6000.
A BIT Speed test gives:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 6000 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  7040 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 461 kbps

This is most unusual but I suppose I have to go through the three tests before it gets checked?
Any advice, please?

If Mav is downloading over 100gb a month then why am i getting punished
paulby
Grafter

If MAV is on a BBYW or Premier account there is no restriction on the amount that he can download off-peak.
AJTWWE
Grafter

So what are the peak and off peak times on the brandband your way options