Did you mean: 

Speed restriction not being lifted - please help

bapbap

Re: Speed restriction not being lifted - please help

Quote from: axisofevil
What does this mean in English?
Presumably it's a really bad situation?
What's the current situation?

I think it can be translated as, people are actually trying to use the service they paid for rather than letting their connection sit idle and PlusNet are having to add capacity to meet demand. I don't know how it would affect off-peak usage, if at all.
I could rant but I'm going to keep it simple. There are obviously traffic management rules or something similar capping my speeds on certain services. I find this has been happening towards the end of the month for the last few months (maybe some unstated off-peak limit?) and is happening continually at the moment, even though it's a new month for me. I usually keep within my peak usage, if I go a few GB over, I pay for it. I rely on the off-peak period to do my downloading, all I ask is that it actually works as stated.
Anyway, I'm not going to threaten to leave or anything like that, I am leaving, I was just hoping my last month or two went without a hitch. I know sh*t happens so hopefully the problem can be addressed.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I see.
Have you tried running your P2P so that it only makes encrypted connections?
It seems to partially fool the traffic management detection eqipment.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Soulsville
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi,
I have just rang Plusnet and spoke to a helpful guy but he says there are only
2 people on tonight and nothing will be done until the morning and he has assured
me that things will happen then.
I do hope so.
I think we deserve compensation
AJTWWE
Grafter

Thats good news then, lets hope they keep their word
Mav
Fixes: 514

I may be jumping the gun slightly as it's only just after 6 am but my speed is still restricted and I have noticed that my usage has not been reset - it's billing day. Normally my usage is reset within 2 hours past midnight.
Are the two things connected?
Even so, my usage is within the 30GB allowance for Premier 2 so still should not have any limitations on my account between midnight and 4pm.
Edit: Actually the 'View my broadband usage' still shows last month's usage whereas clicking on 'View this months usage' shows it has been reset.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

pierre_pierre
Grafter

What does this mean in English?
Presumably it's a really bad situation?
What's the current situation?

Service Status RSS Feeds
Broadband Network Capacity - RESOLVED
Broadband Network Capacity
Posted on: Thursday 5 June 2008, 11:23
We have just activated an additional 155Mbps segment of central bandwidth. Customers connecting to the new segment will be terminated on the gateway PCL-AG02.
This additional bandwidth means we can now change the status of Network Capacity back to green.
When new capacity is added, it takes time for the network to balance and for a representative proportion of the customer base to connect to the new segment. In order to speed up this process and help balance the platform to give the most benefit to customers, it may be necessary for us to temporarily disconnect a number of customers from the network. Should we take the decision to do this we will announce further details as a planned maintenance notice otherwise it may take up to a week for the new segment to be balanced.
We frequently review our plans for the purchase of additional capacity and will continue to do this based on projected customer numbers.
Kind Regards,
Chris Parr
Customer Support
canford
Grafter

Quote from: Mav
Edit: Actually the 'View my broadband usage' still shows last month's usage whereas clicking on 'View this months usage' shows it has been reset.

Pretty much what I'm seeing except that 'View this month's usage' shows two months......
A reply to my ticket included the sentence.....'We are going to investigate as there is a potential problem here.'  So at least they acknowledge there is a 'potential' problem.
Whatever, it's 0815 and my p2p is still throttled at 20KB/s.
serenityvalley
Grafter

Same P2P issue here. I'm on the old Broadbrand Premier Option 1 account and I've been getting only 20K/s P2P all through the weekend. Usenet seems fine, though.
I have exceeded 100GB this month, but only 4.5 is peak usage.
landlock

Yep, I've got the same problem aswell can't get above 20KB/S, my usage has just been reset and I was hoping that would fix it. No luck there though.  Cry
Like others people this started on Saturday and has been like it all weekend, hopefully it'll be sorted quickly today.
James
Grafter

Hi guys,
I'm very sorry that no action happened regarding this over the weekend.
We currently have a Priority One Problem open regarding this and we will be working towards a fix as soon as possible.
Mav

Hi James
Thanks for the update.
Firstly, why haven't the weekend staff properly alerted us to potential problems - even via our phone calls?
Secondly, I am getting restrictions across the whole sprectrum and not just Usenet (I don't use P2P) and all speed tests are showing similar results to Level 2 Restrictions.
So, does your above comment actually apply in my case?
I look forwad to a quick resolution anyway Smiley

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

James
Grafter

Hiya,
Looking at the Ellacoya graphs, there's not been any downturn in the amount of gold traffic (whereas there has been to a considerable extent on bronze and silver) which should suggest that this isn't affecting gold traffic.
Are you seeing slow down on your normal speedtests aswell as all other traffic?
Mav

Quote from: Jameseh
Are you seeing slow down on your normal speedtests aswell as all other traffic?

Not sure why you're asking that when I have stated all along that all speedtests indicate that Level 2 restrictions are being applied even off-peak!
All traffic, speedtests, etc are considerably slow.
Can you take a peek at what's been added to ticket 25274761 and find out what's being done, please?

James
Grafter

Hi Mav,
Unless I'm missing the point, isn't this behaving as it should be?
If you've reached level 2 management, then you should be seeing HTTP speeds in the region of 1Mbps.
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/bb_premier2.shtml
Having said that and looking at your ticket, your speeds do appear to be about half the speed that I would expect them to be.  However, your usage should be reset today, so your speeds should be back to normal.
Mav

Sorry James, but that simply isn't good enough
I have been on a restricted speed all weekend. In fact, since 4pm on Friday. You seem to have forgetten that restrictions should be lifted at midnight till 4pm!
Has this really anything to do with usage? Why is the VMBU not reset when it usually is within 2 hours of midnight yet the Month's view has been?
I need some answers to my questions, not more questions.
I'd appreciate this being looked into urgently as it is very frustrating.