cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed really low and dropping connection

buchan88

Speed really low and dropping connection

Hello,
I have an ongoing question that has been open with PlusNet for about 6 weeks (previous to that, it had been fine for about a year and a half - averaging 6ish MB).  We have tried everything that has been suggested.  We have a new Router (supplied by PlusNet).  everything has been disconnected, modem has been lef ton for 3 days, and BT have visited, confirmed a fault and said that they have fixed it and now there is no fault.  I am still getting download speeds of around 160kb.
My last contact with Plus Net was that they are getting the exchange checked out, but BT have already said there is now now fault.  They did a test tonight and this is what was posted on my question.  Can anyone advise me?  I have put on PlusNets test results below.
Thanks
Upstream Link Info

Loop Loss          Loop Loss Add Text                        SNR Margin                  Errored Seconds            HecErrors                Cell Count                Speed
44.5                                                                                    6.7                                  0                                        0                                5997321                      192

Downstream Link Info 
  Loop Loss            Loop Loss Add Text                      SNR Margin                  ErroredSeconds            HecErrors                CellCount                    Speed
63.5                                                                                    12                                  842                                      0                              23967286                    160

DSL Max Data 

BIP Interface Data 
  Current line rate              Line rate change timestamp                        Maximum Stable Rate Recalcuated                      ProfileTimestamp          Maximum Stable Rate
135                                        2009-05-26T21:08:38                                  N                                                                                  2008-10-15T07:27:35      6240

10 REPLIES 10
James
Grafter

Re: Speed really low and dropping connection

Hiya,
That's pretty awful.
When BT say there's no fault, quite often it means the opposite!  If you persevere with us and tell us that you're still having the same problem, we'll send your fault back to BT and get them to pull their finger out.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

There is something badly wrong with your line if you were once getting speeds of around 6000kbps
Your attenuation figures are horrible and something must have changed.
The first thing you need to do is to find out how to get the stats from your router (noise margin, attenuation and speeds). This site explains how to get them for all the common routers http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
Once you have done that take your router to the master socket and remove the lower half to expose the test socket. This excludes all the wiring in your house. Plug in the router with nothing else connected and report back the stats from the router
EDIT - as James has said just persevere with the fault process but please do the test I have requested as it may be a fault in your house
buchan88

Hello,
We have done everything that has been asked, including getting stats and plugging it in to the Master Socket.  we are really runnin gout of patience with PlusNet - as we have been told all sorts of things, that have not turned out to be the case.  We were told on Monday that BT would be investigating (attending our house) this week, when we called back, we were told that this was not the case and that nobody would be attanding.  Our question was simply updated with "Have you plugged the router in to the master socked" which we have done various times.  We have been told, that although BT will not attend, that they are looking at the fault - but we have been told this before.
We're really disappointed with PlusNet's support, to be honest - as this has gone on for 6 weeks and we are no better off.
Any advise that anyone could give us would be great, as we think that we have been more than patient with this.
James
Grafter

Hello,
I'm truly very sorry if you were given poor information.  I can promise you that isn't normal.
I've just been looking at your connection and see that it's dropped off a few times today.  Can you just confirm that that is not your rebooting your router at all?
I can see that you're connected to the master socket.  Let me know about the disconnections and I'll talk with BT.  I also promise to take personal ownership of your fault when I'm in the office (Mon to Fri).
buchan88

Hello,
Thanks for the reply.  I can confirm that the router has not been restarted today - it is always left on.
Thanks
James
Grafter

Hiya,
Thanks for your time on the phone just now.
I've had th reraise your fault with BT again and I'll keep an eye out tonight for any updates.
I'll be around for most of the evening (given I have no life, etc) so if you have any questions, feel free to ask!
buchan88

Hello,
I have received the following list of questions, we have answered most of these multiple times.   I will answer them again, but is there nothing in your question system that technicians can look up, before asking these?   
Anyhow, here goes.   
I will also email these to the technician who asked for them.   link:csa removed
Thanks
Nicola
My answers:-
In order to investigate this for you, please answer the following questions:
1. Does the loss of connection occur only at certain times of the day or is it continuous? If only at certain times, please state when. 
No - it happens all of the time.    
2. How long has the problem been occurring for and when did it start? 
It started when we first opened this question, which I believe was early May.
3. What are you doing at the time of the fault - e.g. downloading large files, or does it only drop when idle? 
Browsing only.   It is so slow, that browsing to sites such as Ebay and hotmail - either do not load or they are so slow that it is unusable.   This has been said by us many times.
4. When you lose connection is sync lost on the modem/router - i.e. does the ADSL link light start flashing or does it remain solid green? 
ADSL light for some of the time is on, but there is no connection.   Sometimes (like earlier today), the light is off.
5. Does you have any other equipment on the line that may affect service, such as a fax machine and is the PSTN (voice) service OK? 
No, again we have advised many times - we have nothing plugged in, we have unplugged the Sky Box.   We have used standard BT line tests (17070) - all of this was fine
6. Please connect your modem/router to the master socket, leaving all other equipment disconnected and see if the problem still happens. 
It has been connected in this way for weeks, now.
7. Has another modem/router been tested on your line, or have you tested your modem/router on a line known to be working? 
Yes, we got you to send another modem to us.   Your records should show that we got the modem in
8. Has the micro filter being changed to prove if it is a problem? 
It has been changed, new micro filters were put in when we got the new router.   Again, your records should show that you have already asked this - many times.
9. Are you on a particular website when the connection drops? 
No.
10. Is the session actually disconnecting (requiring you to login again), or is it degrading to almost nothing (session stays up, but hardly usable)?
I can either not get on the internet at all.   Or when I am on it is so slow that I cannot use it.   I might try to use it, but eventually the connection will drop.
11. Can you reconnect again straight away, or do you have to reboot? 
Sometimes it will connect after a few tried, but a reboot does nothing.
12. Do you use any other protocols and applications other than Web-browser, email and FTP? 
No, it is browsing only.
13. Do you get an error code when you log on again? 
Not sure what you mean - error codes from the router, returning from IE or the PC.   Please be specific in what you are looking for.
14. Have filters been added to all used points? 
Yes, you have asked this many times and received the same answer.

15. Is there an alarm system on the property which utilises the phone line? 
NO.,

16. Have you anything else connected to your PC besides the modem/router? 
A printer.
17. So that we can further test and investigate this issue can you please confirm that your modem or router will remain plugged into the telephone socket and powered up.
We have advised that this is the case - we advised this last week and on Monday and Wednesday night too.
adie:blue CSA name removed as per link:rules]
James
Grafter

Nicola,
Thanks.  I know you've answered them loads of times before and I'm very sorry you've had to jump through hoops again.
Like I said on the phone, I'll pick it up with BT first thing.  I even emailed myself to remind me Smiley
SteveE
Grafter

This could be a mail from me as well!
I've had 6 weeks of bad connection (always stable at 1.5Mbps before-not great but OK), stuck at 130k at the moment. Ticket still open, but have answered all the questions just like the OP. Modem (BTVOYAGER2100) is in the engineer test socket again, stats are Sync 1372, SNR 17.0, Downstream Line attentuation 52 dB, Upstream 31 dB. Dropped connection twice yesterday (no reboot), currently stable for 22 hours with no drops, but no speed increase either.
Getting rather frustrated! Sad
buchan88

Just wanted to say thanks for your help in this - although we have been told that BT did nothing when they went out, the speed is now up to 5MB.  Thanks for all of your help in this.