Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed puzzlement

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Speed puzzlement

Browsing through these forums, ive seen plenty of coments about low speeds, either upload, or downlaod speeds being slow.
when  I first signed up to an ADSL service 9 with freserve) the speed was straight forward, 512k down and 215k up.
about 9 years ago I moved to plusnet, and over that time things have slowly improved speed wise.
I now get ( on speedtests ) about 11meg down and 0.3 up, although the download speed has increased, the upload has only gone up slightly from 0.215 to 0.3 - Is this normal?
Also via the plusnet member centre/high speed broadband page i get this
Estimated line speed:
    14Mb (This may vary between 8Mb and 18.5Mb) - Checked on 2013-04-09 19:19:42
Current line speed:
    11.9 Mb

with the BT speedtest reporting this
Download speedachieved during the test was - 11.26 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 12.09 Mbps

and for upload
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.34Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps

and for good measure router stats

Current Rate (Kbps) UP: 443  Down:13708
Max Rate (Kbps) UP: 1104 Down:14248
SNR Margin (db) UP;25.7         Down:3.5
Line Attenuation (db) Up:14.9   Down: 31
Errors (Pkts) 0 0

is everything normal and as to be expected? 
should my IP profile be higher, and as a result the download speed closer to the 14meg estimate from plusnet ?
Are the download speds/ip profiles right?
2 REPLIES 2
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Speed puzzlement

Your upload speed is unusually low.  It looks to be capped in which case you should ask Plusnet to uncap it but even then the upstream speed test result is a bit poor.
According to the Kitz Calculator here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php with your downstream attenuation of 31dB you should achieve a sync rate of 14528kbps assuming a noise free line and a 6dB target SNRM.  You are falling a bit short of that, particularly if your target SNRM is 3dB (which the reported 3.5dB might imply).  But you're not far off and unless you spend a lot of time downloading huge files you are unlikely to notice the difference.
To quote http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm
For users on a 21CN exchange, the IP profile is calculated as 88.2% of your sync speed.

So your IP Profile is a fixed percentage of your sync rate.
As your BT IP Profile is 12.09Mbps, your Plusnet Current Line Speed should be 12Mbps to match but small disparities can arise under a new system just introduced by Plusnet.  0.1Mbps in 12Mbps won't really make a significant difference.  
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Speed puzzlement

Hi pint,
I've placed an modify order to uncap your upload speed, this will complete tomorrow.
Your download speeds are very close to the max your line can support. Do you have any devices plugged into your phone line apart from your router and phone?