cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed problems

phyhhe
Grafter

Speed problems

I had some sort of problem in the last couple of days which led to my profile speed being reduced to 1000kbps  Have rebooted several times and it has been raised now to 6500 but my actual speeds are still awful (as below from bt test)
  IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 730 kbp
Any ideas what I need to do?
18 REPLIES 18
Mand
Grafter

Re: Speed problems

Hi there,
What does the Exchange Checker return for your exchange?
Our profile reflects BT's at the moment, so it's not a profiling issue.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Have you exceeded any allowances? The view my broadband usage will show this if you have.
phyhhe
Grafter

Exchange checker shows ok for Odiham and I'm nowhere near my 8Gb allowance
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

What does the high speed broadband page say. It's on the portal under connection settings?
phyhhe
Grafter

High speed broadband page says 6500Kbps but still getting less than 1000
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Your exchange profile still shows at 6500 as does your account profile. If you can only get 1000 on a BT speed test (http://www.speedtester.bt.com) then we'll be able to raise it as a stuck profile - if this is the case please raise the fault at http://faults.plus.net
Hope this helps,
phyhhe
Grafter

Is it just me or is this icket reply just plain stupid?
"The results of our tests show no fault with your broadband connection. Completed speed tests show that your connection speed is: none found
According to BT, this speed is within the limits of acceptable performance for broadband service."
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

That's the automated text from the faults checker, the wording is dreadful, we have plans to modify the text on the faults checker. Basically it means that the faults checker couldn't detect the BT speedtest results requested.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've grabbed the results from your initial post and also from the PM you provided me with and escalated the fault to our faults guys with these on there.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
phyhhe
Grafter

Chris
Have had a reply saying all now ok but latest speed test is:
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 672 kbps
Which is worse than it was!!  Angry
James
Grafter

Hi there,
Have you tried playing around with MTU and rWin?
http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks is a pretty handy site.
phyhhe
Grafter

I can't see how that would help.  I have had consistently decent speeds around 5000kbps or more, with the same hardware/software setup, up until the last few days.  I'm now being told that because my speed is over 400kbps there is nothing Plusnet can do.
Ticket 22709319 basically agrees that my speed is awful but won't do anything about it because BT says its ok.  Well it's not ok by me and not what I regard as customer service.
On a previous post Orbrey says that ti sounds like a stuck profile, is there nothing that can be done to unstick it?
I am aware of how maxdsl works but the current speed is just abysmal.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: phyhhe
I can't see how that would help.  I have had consistently decent speeds around 5000kbps or more, with the same hardware/software setup, up until the last few days.  I'm now being told that because my speed is over 400kbps there is nothing Plusnet can do.

I was struggling to get near 3000kbps until spraxyt told me to adjust my MTU and RWin when I posted a question on the forum.  I am now getting 5000kbps most of the time.  Give it a go.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

On a previous post Orbrey says that ti sounds like a stuck profile, is there nothing that can be done to unstick it?

Orbrey's comment to that effect was qualified by "If you can only get 1000 on a BT speed test".  This would be referring to the IP profile, not your actual throughput - you mentioned dropping down to 1000 at one point.  The test you posted…
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 672 kbps

shows your IP profile is 6500kbps which is the value appropriate to a sync speed of 7616kbps.  So you *don't* have a stuck profile.  You have confirmed the PN throughput setting under High-Speed Broadband is correctly set at 6500kbps.
It is recognised that you have extremely poor throughput.  The information available suggests this is due to something under your own control.  Firstly, are you using a USB modem or router, and if the latter how do you connect to it (wireless, Ethernet or USB)?  Secondly I do suggest you run the DSLreports tweaktest and post the results URL.  I am aware you regard doing that as a waste of time, but doing so will prove your point.
Have you done a speed test on mybroadbandspeed to verify the BT throughput figure?
David