cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed problems

Tyseren

Speed problems

Hi All,
My first post  Smiley and looking for some help and guidance please...
I'm struggling with slow speeds at my pc in the study - 2.7mb download on Plusnet fibre!  I've done the bt speedtest with the cable directly into laptop and getting 40mb.  I switch to wifi and get 20mb.  My wifi on the study pc is 2.7mb, and with the powerline adapter is also 2.7mb. 
So my questions are: what is restricting the 40mb down to 20mb? and more importantly what might be restricting the pc to just 2.7mb?  Any help gratefully received
Many thanks
Helen
3 REPLIES 3
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Speed problems

Hi
Can you pin point when it started to be slow? Were any new programs or hardware installed?
Can you test the laptop with the powerline just to rule that out also?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there Tyresen and welcome aboard Smiley
It sounds like it's the wireless connection that's causing the decrease in speeds.
Whilst I'd keep in mind the fact that WiFi technology is always inherently slower than a wired connection sometimes some improvements can be made so I'd take a look at the suggestions on this page: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/wireless_broadband/wireless_signal.shtml
regarding the 2.7mb connection on the PC it sounds that it could be the case that the wireless adapter may not be wireless n compatible (i.e may be b or g perhaps) that often accounts for unexpected slow wireless speeds.
Let us know how you get on.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Tyseren

Thanks for the info  Smiley  I'll do some testing and let you know
Helen